Arm extension after POC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
I agree that extension does not come from pushing, but rather the hands are pulled to extension by the bat.

Good.

However, a quick check of MLB video (Albert, Mig, Buster), extension of the rear arm is underway going into contact. I'm having trouble with the idea that zero extension of the rear arm happens until after contact. Do you have any video of HL swings where there is no extension prior to contact?

If I said something that indicated I believed that then my bad. It's a case of function over form. Connection/connecting the bat to the rotating torso efficiently can be achieved with varying degrees of flexion of the back arm and varying degrees of distance between the lead arm and the chest.

May 12, 2008
Mark, remember when you used to use the word "horsepucky"? Good "extension" is the combination of a couple of things. The fact is, the arms are already in the act of "extending" long before the barrel gets out in front of them. You may want to clean up your definition of "PULLS"...

No idea what you just said but maybe my answer to Eric will help.

May 12, 2008
Yes, I understand do not push. Let the extension happen naturally from the mometum of the swing.

Thanks. Words typed over the internet without the benefit of inflection or demonstration can often be lacking in explanatory power. I'd hate if something I said poorly ended up being misunderstood.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If I said something that indicated I believed that then my bad. It's a case of function over form. Connection/connecting the bat to the rotating torso efficiently can be achieved with varying degrees of flexion of the back arm and varying degrees of distance between the lead arm and the chest.

This comment...
...my sole point in putting up the teenage boy's swing was to show he was NOT extended at contact and yet a frame later was.

...lead me to believe that you were promoting that the hitter should not allow the rear arm to begin extending until after contact. Maybe I misunderstood your intent.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
No idea what you just said but maybe my answer to Eric will help.
Mark, I was very clear. This is not:
It's a case of function over form. Connection/connecting the bat to the rotating torso efficiently can be achieved with varying degrees of flexion of the back arm and varying degrees of distance between the lead arm and the chest.

I'll bow out. Eric already has this covered.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
If you call 'extending' to the 3rd base dugout extension then I guess.
Might want to fix the rear elbow being stuck to the side of the hitter. I would have liked to see the rear elbow get 'through'. Then this hitter might hit through the ball with better extension.
I see what you mean about 'upstream' having effect on the 'downstream' of a swing.
Added:Fixing the rear elbow might also fix the 'chicken wing' that the hitter has on the front arm.
Looks like bass has this covered as well. :D

May 12, 2008
This comment...

...lead me to believe that you were promoting that the hitter should not allow the rear arm to begin extending until after contact. Maybe I misunderstood your intent.

Nope. Strictly trying to make the point about what powers good "extension". Thanks.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
Mark, I was very clear. This is not:

You're right. I should have said varying degrees of distance between the lead arm and the chest during torso rotation. Degrees was an appropriate metric to use when talking about elbow flexion. Degrees was an inappropriate metric to use for how close or far the lead arm was from the chest during rotation. My bad.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
You're right. I should have said varying degrees of distance between the lead arm and the chest during torso rotation. Degrees was an appropriate metric to use when talking about elbow flexion. Degrees was an inappropriate metric to use for how close or far the lead arm was from the chest during rotation. My bad.

Connection/connecting the bat to the rotating torso efficiently
The bat? Would that be the whole bat? Or the handle? Or just the barrel? Is that "connection" a manifestation of clamping and holding something? The boy that you posted is a very poor representation of a good swing. Why did you use it? btw, it does match your words.

Here are my thoughts, since there is some history. "Connection" is your bugaboo. It prevents the boy from bringing EVERYTHING from behind and through. It leaves the upper complex - to a large extent - out of the equation. You are from the school of thought, that the hands are "just along for the ride", right? The bat alone is the force supplier in your "connected" model. It gets thrown off the merry go round. Meanwhile, Trout is bringing his WHOLE rear-side through the ball, unencumbered. He's got a hand-path. He knows where his hands have to be - to deliver the handle - while releasing/launching the barrel through the ball. His hands recruit his body to accomplish the task.

TroutHands.gif

Last edited: