Arm extension after POC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If I asked you to do just 2 things - flash the knob to the pitcher OR flash the knob to the opposite batters box - not pulling/pushing the knob, just flashing. Sounds easy, right? If I asked you to only flash the knob at the pitcher when I say "fb in" AND I ask you to flash the knob at the opposite batters box when I say either "fb out", "breaking pitch". Could you get good at that? Now I want you to go back and look at video. Look for swings where the hitter got a fb in. Watch where he flashes the knob. Look for the fb out OR breaking balls - watch where he flashes the knob.

Hmmm...that sounds a lot like "knob to the ball".

Then, a coach overhears someone using that simple cue, applies it literally, over-bakes he hell out of it, and has his hitters do this...
KnobToBall-LOL_zpse1czvujt.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If I asked you to do just 2 things - flash the knob to the pitcher OR flash the knob to the opposite batters box - not pulling/pushing the knob, just flashing. Sounds easy, right? If I asked you to only flash the knob at the pitcher when I say "fb in" AND I ask you to flash the knob at the opposite batters box when I say either "fb out", "breaking pitch". Could you get good at that? Now I want you to go back and look at video. Look for swings where the hitter got a fb in. Watch where he flashes the knob. Look for the fb out OR breaking balls - watch where he flashes the knob.

Then, a coach overhears someone using that simple cue, applies it literally, over-bakes he hell out of it, and has his hitters do this...

Howe earlier wrote ... "not pulling/pushing the knob".

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Eric,
To the ball, no. But the hands do need to work the handle toward the ball, right? After all, there is space between the hands and sweet spot of the barrel to consider. The hitter has to be aware of that distance, right? If not, how would they ever know how to square the ball. So the hands have to get to the proper barrel launch position somehow, and I believe that decision is made very early - during the read. And you will never hear me say "take the hands to the ball". That's not how it works. The hands have to be delivered.

Something interesting that I've often thought about. How come you hear great hitters talk about swinging the knob or knob to the ball? Is it possible that they - unlike many of us - process things differently? Do you think your example is of the "literal" sense of the cue? Is it possible that a guy like Tony Gwynn - who focuses on the knob - can wait so long to read the pitch because he has a plan to be quick with his hands? That he's mapped out every line and committed a response to each read - to memory? So that it becomes a read/react? Not an easy thing to articulate to mere mortals... :D

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Almost forgot Eric. We on these boards are supposed to be the educated. We should be spreading the word and correcting those who misuse cues and drills. Otherwise, hitters will continue to suffer and be confused. Seeing young hitters lose frames in their swings while their hands are dropping - among other things - can be avoided if the cues are explained and used correctly. But avoiding some cues altogether because of past beliefs may be a disservice to some who may benefit from them. And I bet you would be hard pressed to find any Pro today, who has NOT been given some of these very cues that guys on these boards fight so hard to avoid uttering...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207