Arm circle question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
My DD has always had this bent arm over her head keeping her arm bent down to release. I am concerned she will never hit the velocity she needs to compete in college. I see other pitchers with a complete circle with arm more straight and diameter of circle wider. Any advice would be appreciated. She’s 15 and throws about 52mph.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
Welcome to the Forum Billy. I am by no means an expert but I'll give it a go.

1) to give you an accurate answer the guys here that really know will need a video. Take a side shot, host it on Youtube and you will get your answer pretty quickly.

2) There should be some bend at the elbow. Without video, it will be difficult to tell you if it is too much or too little.

3) Start reading the sticky posts at the top of this forum. Start with IR in the Classroom. Lots of great information there. You should read the whole thing, but.... GO to page 18 or 19. Sluggers posted a few GIFs and you can see Finch and Pauly with a slightly bent arm.

Good luck. You will learn a lot here if you stick around.

Sep 29, 2014
Hey Billy....first place everyone looks to get more speed is always "arms" when the odds are very good that the first place to easily pick up speed is "legs". I can be a little nerve racking to post a video but you can go look in the pitching forums and see the kind of feedback you will get. ALWAYS constructive critiques with specific recommendations of what she can do to improve. While there will be a few differing opinion you will quickly see a consensus build on the most important things to address.

First thing I might ask before we jump in is does she have a pitching coach and how do you feel about them, what are their recommendations?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I would suggest that you start searching online for 'images' of some D1 pitchers that you have seen on TV. I think you would be surprised at how bent a lot of their arms are. Here is a picture of Gabbie Plain. I came across this while searching for pitchers who replant, the topic came up in the Illegal Pitch thread. Plain replants, check out her arm bend.

Also, better off with too much bend than too straight.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
Hey Billy....first place everyone looks to get more speed is always "arms" when the odds are very good that the first place to easily pick up speed is "legs". I can be a little nerve racking to post a video but you can go look in the pitching forums and see the kind of feedback you will get. ALWAYS constructive critiques with specific recommendations of what she can do to improve. While there will be a few differing opinion you will quickly see a consensus build on the most important things to address.

First thing I might ask before we jump in is does she have a pitching coach and how do you feel about them, what are their recommendations?
Yes, and her coach said not to worry too much about 12 down to release. Her coach wants her arm bent at 3:00 and brush w/ IR.

May 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
@BillyD ... thanks for reaching out.

IMO... as an experienced Minnesota PI... when you tell a player to bend her elbow... she will "bend her elbow"

This is NOT something you teach
... it should only be a "video reference point" to show her "relaxed arm" during the arm circle...

NOTE: All clock/hour references are given to the pitcher from their reference point... I will use a "right-handed pitcher" in my post.

During the arm circle from 12 to release (6ish)... the forearm/ball will be lagging behind the elbow (i.e. the ball weighs about 7 oz)...

This is the flex of a relaxed arm during the final 12-6 arm motion.

When the elbow is at 3 should normally see about a 1-hour difference between the ball and the elbow... 2.

Again... when the elbow is at 3... the ball should be lagging behind at about 2 (see attached photo example)

However, if she is physically trying to bend her ELBOW... then she will be "tightening her arm muscles"... and this will ultimately prevent her from achieving higher speeds.

Most pitchers that throw using their shoulder and a "bent elbow" at release (HE) will have a limited speed potential.

It has been my PI experience... that on average... this type of pitching mechanics will reach around 45-50 mph... then her speed will flatten out.

That is why some shoulder/elbow pitchers are dominating at 10U.. when they are throwing 45-50mph ... and then at 12U and 14U they are not dominant anymore and their speed will stop increasing.

Thanks again for your post… and if you (or anyone) have any questions, please feel free to send me a message... or send me a DM on FB, thanks.

Here is a great YT slow-motion video of Amanda Scarborough's amazing mechanics.

This image of Amanda (from the YT video)... shows her elbow at 3 and the ball at 2... her arm is relaxed... not bent...
3 elbow 2 forearm - Ball Lag.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06