Are pitchers crazy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2012
Sue Enquist said this all started when they drew the circle around the pitcher. Turned them all into divas.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
In my experience, each pitcher is different. Both of my DDs are pitchers. DD1, 14 y/o, almost nothing fazes her. She has worked very hard on her "poker face" and we have to look for other subtle clues if anything is bothering her, because she won't tell us and she won't show it. She doesn't want to give us any reason to take her out. She never looks at her coaches, never looks in the dugout, just at her catcher. If she does say something, we take it seriously because that happens as often as her room being clean (never). DD2, 9 y/o, is the complete opposite. You know when she's having a bad day. There was a slight breeze out of the northwest at 3.215 mph, Jupiter's gravitational pull was slightly stronger today, I saw a dead ladybug yesterday, and it's hot. We ignore most of her complaints. For some, it's a phase they go through, for others, that's just how they are. I was never a pitcher, so I don't know what it feels like to have that much attention on me every single pitch, every single game. Just try to help her cope with the stress.

Oct 22, 2009
Reminds me of the Snicker commercials, lol

I took a picture of one my high school pitchers eating a snickers in class, posted it to my facebook page and said, "Someone needed a Snickers".:)

But short answer, YES.

They are crazy. But you have to be to put up with all you have to put up with to be a pitcher.

I've seen and heard it all, remind them in class when it's time to back off a bit.

One time I had a pitcher digging in the dirt in front of the rubber, every pitch, she'd dig and dig, she kept complaining that something was bothering her but she couldn't find it. Then about 8 inches later she drags up this teeny tiny pebble, and exclaims, I FOUND IT! She throws off this tiny pebble and continues to pitch bothersome free.

Like freakin princess and the pea!!

waukeshahurricanes

Hurricanes Island
Sep 12, 2011
Most pitchers and there parents are lunatics/crazy I have been around IMO. I have had some through the years who have been great to be around...though

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
It takes a special kind of person to pitch, or catch for that matter.

When DD #1 played, she refused to pitch, catch or even play 1B. Too much pressure. She was a great infielder, esp. 3B, though. She worked hard at it, since she didn't want to let down the team. Maybe she avoided P, C and 1B so as not to be in a position of letting down her team.

DD #3 loves to pitch, and likes to sometimes play C or 1B. She complains in her rec league games if she catches too much. For most rec league teams she is either the best or second best catcher, so the teams tend to have her catch more than she would like. She loves being part of every play. For her TB team, when she isn't pitching she normally plays SS or 3B, sometimes OF.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What did Sue Enquist say, Something along the lines of. "ever since we drew a circle around them pitchers turned prissy"

about 90 seconds in.

BTW to hitters and parents of hitters the first 90 seconds are golden advice, heed it.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
What did Sue Enquist say, Something along the lines of. "ever since we drew a circle around them pitchers turned prissy"

about 90 seconds in.

BTW to hitters and parents of hitters the first 90 seconds are golden advice, heed it.

I love listening to Sue Enquist. Brilliant to the game and incredibly motivating. No wonder she had the success she did. I saw her speak in person last month. Came away from that clinic a smarter guy. I showed DD THIS. From now on, our symbol for "Bottom 3rd" is I point down and then show 3 fingers. Every time I get the bull-crap excuses, I just give her the "Bottom 3rd" sign and she gets it.

Mar 21, 2013
What's up Mike? Agreed, pitchers are a little different breed! You can call it what you want crazy, anal, prima donna, masochist, egotistical it all fits at some point! But the bottom line is that it takes all of those traits to put up with the process learning that crazy position in the first place so it is what it is.

You can say the same about the pitcher parents in most cases by the way. My daughter a first year 10 pitcher, and I can honestly say that if she wanted to quit pitching tomorrow I would scream hallelujah, be joyous and throw a huge party (on the inside of course). Oh yeah, and I would finally be able to watch her games without my Red Solo cup and prescription anti-depressants. You know they added a 13th step to the AA program "do not attend softball games if your daughter is a pitcher".

Still enjoying the ride, most of the time lol!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild