Are CLUTCH PLAYERS a real thing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Yep
I know a few.
The one who lives under my roof has that 5th gear during games, warrior mode.
If she could bring that same level of intensity to practice she could be something very special

Oct 14, 2019
who is more clutch - the batter who hits a hard line drive straight at the 3rd baseman for the 3rd out or the batter who bloops one over the 2nd baseman for the game winning hit?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
who is more clutch - the batter who hits a hard line drive straight at the 3rd baseman for the 3rd out or the batter who bloops one over the 2nd baseman for the game winning hit?
Depends on the pitch. If batter turned on one and knocked the 3rd base person down (clutch) or if batter hit changeup down & on the black over opposite field infielder (clutch)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think my DD is clutch not because she rises to the occasion so much but because she is level headed and calm. Never too high or low. We work on breathing and visualizaton. If she is leading off against a team we are supposed to beat (she rarely knows this) or it is 7 to 7 in the 6th inning, To her, it is just work. Get in the box and work. I don't talk to her about it much. It is just who she is.

Oct 14, 2019
Depends on the pitch. If batter turned on one and knocked the 3rd base person down (clutch) or if batter hit changeup down & on the black over opposite field infielder (clutch)
not sure if that is clutch or skill. in any event, stats don’t always reflect reality.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A base hit is a base hit !
Call those shallow bloopy hits
"Dumpy Do's"
Out of the or over the infield with a runner on third often creates a challenging play at the plate!
Sometimes no play if the runner reads the hit well.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
A base hit is a base hit !
Call those shallow bloopy hits
"Dumpy Do's"
Out of the or over the infield with a runner on third often creates a challenging play at the plate!
Sometimes no play if the runner reads the hit well.
All you have to do 'clutch' to get a double instead of a bloopy is hit it a quarter inch higher o_O ;)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
A few good articles on clutch most against the idea of clutch from a statistical point of view and at least one arguing clutch is in fact a skill.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The funny thing is that I believe in "clutch players", but I was a statistics major in college. Go figure... :unsure: To me it is all a matter of confidence level. Is there a correlation between the more talented players and those that perform at the most opportune times? Sure. Absolutely. But for some reason certain individuals do have better statistics (overall) when playing at the biggest moments, while others seem to struggle. The attached article has some interesting stats. Someone mentioned it before, but Barry Bonds playoff batting average is significantly lower than his regular season average. By comparison, Carl Yastrzemski and Cal Ripken have significantly higher batting averages in the playoffs. Yes, they were pretty good players in the regular season as well, but they seemed to find another gear, whether real or not. As a Cowboys fan, there has been a great deal of discussion over the years about Tony Romo. Statistically he was consistently one of the better QBs in the NFL, but once the playoffs started... Well, I'm still a Cowboys fan anyway ;) Could the results be tainted by sample size? Yes, that's a possibility. Unfortunately, the sample size available is all we have.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The funny thing is that I believe in "clutch players", but I was a statistics major in college. Go figure... :unsure: To me it is all a matter of confidence level. Is there a correlation between the more talented players and those that perform at the most opportune times? Sure. Absolutely. But for some reason certain individuals do have better statistics (overall) when playing at the biggest moments, while others seem to struggle. The attached article has some interesting stats. Someone mentioned it before, but Barry Bonds playoff batting average is significantly lower than his regular season average. By comparison, Carl Yastrzemski and Cal Ripken have significantly higher batting averages in the playoffs. Yes, they were pretty good players in the regular season as well, but they seemed to find another gear, whether real or not. As a Cowboys fan, there has been a great deal of discussion over the years about Tony Romo. Statistically he was consistently one of the better QBs in the NFL, but once the playoffs started... Well, I'm still a Cowboys fan anyway ;) Could the results be tainted by sample size? Yes, that's a possibility. Unfortunately, the sample size available is all we have.

Good read!
Was thinking also that perhaps because it is not exactly a measurable statistic (or is it) because of~
How do you prove the point that something is a clutch moment?
Is that only at the end of the game? Or could that clutch moment have actually been in the first inning? Is that the same earlier in the game say down by runs and hitting to take the lead.
The clutch runs!

I do think that because if we were to use the word "clutch" people understand what that description is and perhaps simply because of that it is a thing.

Also agree YES
Performing under pressure,
(Would call it) participating in a critical moment to change the outcome....
Has an added element.
That tests reliability with skill !

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06