Are CLUTCH PLAYERS a real thing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
A wise person once said "clutch is as clutch does" or something like that ;)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Of course, you have good players who are "clutch players", good players who are not clutch players, and so-so player who are clutch players.

Good overall and good clutch players: Albert Pujols
So-so overall and good clutch: Reggie Jackson

And, then you've got Don Larsen...mediocre pitcher who does the improbable in the biggest game of his life. Maybe there is greatness in everyone.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Reggie Jackson is so-so? I guess hall of famers don't get much respect. His WS numbers in 5 fall classics are off the charts good. But lucky for him his team mates carried him though the ALCSs where he was mostly pretty bad.

Barry Bonds was the most unclutch post season hitter maybe ever until suddenly he had one of the most amazing post season by any hitter, ever. Probably had a lot more to do with IDK the small sample size of the post season than Bonds being unclutch.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Ask Howie Kendrick, who hit key home runs in the clutch that led to my Nationals winning the World Series last year. Other than Anthony Rendon, there was no one else on the team that I would have rather had up in those situations.
I remember thinking why is Kendrick playing, why is he even on the field, he sucks!

Then he had a breakout and caught on fire!! And his interview afterwards was great, I had a quick attitude turnaround towards him and became a fan after that interview!

And knowing Rendon was in the last year of his contact, I said then someone better get their wallet out! Talk about clutch, what a World Series he had!

And talking about clutch............Strasburg’s game 6 performance!!

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
You guys are making me wonder what part of the lineup is normally up at crunch time in the last inning of 1 hour games? :unsure:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
:) unclutch...now there's a title!

Little humor....

"Geez that pop up was so unclutch."

"Did you hear, they just picked that unclutch player!"

After tryouts...
"Do you think you want to join this team?"
"No, not with that unclutch player."

Last edited:

Latest posts