Are CLUTCH PLAYERS a real thing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Are clutch players a real thing?

Clutch Hitters?
Clutch Defensive Players?

Not just the one time moments
of a clutch play or hit...
Rather the player who is
CONSISTENTLY a CLUTCH player ?

Are they the one you hope is next at bat?
Or
If the other teams hits, it goes to them?

ENJOY

Absolutely 100% Y
Are clutch players a real thing?

Clutch Hitters?
Clutch Defensive Players?

Not just the one time moments
of a clutch play or hit...
Rather the player who is
CONSISTENTLY a CLUTCH player ?

Are they the one you hope is next at bat?
Or
If the other teams hits, it goes to them?

ENJOY

Absolutely 100% YES!!! “Clutch” players/people embrace the pressure situations. Others shy away and don’t want to win/lose the game.
The players with confidence step-up in crucial situations. Do they always deliver? Of course not but they aren’t afraid to try and no moment/stage is too big for them.
Two phrases came to mind when I read the title of this thread.
1) MIchael Jordan the best basketball player to ever play (and that hurts to say because I’m a Celtics fan) said he has taken many more game losing shots than game winning shots. But he had the courage to take them regardless of the outcome.
2) My Grandfather (Moms side) had a saying when playing cards “God hates a coward”.

May 20, 2015
IMHO clutch is a misnomer.....there are girls who perform consistently, girls who do well when they should do well but feel the pressure in big moments.......athletes who thrive under pressure and those who fold or at least feel it and it effects their performance

while there are occasional clutch performances, where someone comes through in a big situation, over time the player we view as 'clutch' is just the one that doesn't let the pressure of a situation mount and detract from their performance......they tend to perform always, and that comes through as 'clutch'

i think in softball we see the opposite effect, too.......i know playing school ball last year as freshman my travel girls saw a lot of inconsistent pitching.....some of them struggled with the slower/inconsistent pitching ....my DD hit the crap out of the weak pitching, (even had 3 hits in an inning lol), and was also 7 for 11 with 3 walks and a SAC vs the top two pitchers in the league.......if you just saw her stat line vs the top two, or in big, tight games, she'd come off as clutch......but when you looked at her stat line all year, she just staying locked in and consistent and didn't play down to the weaker opponents

now, there is a case to be made for positive stress/pressure causing athletes to 'lock in' and rise to the occasion, and there are players who can handle that better and thrive on it, so there ARE players who are better equipped to handle those big situations......but i think over the long haul the players we think are 'clutch' are the players that play the most consistently, regardless of the situation

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom