any tricks to controlling the flip change.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
One of the cue's that I use when teaching it is to tell the pitcher to throw the bottom of the ball through her target. Too often they think throw the front of the ball through the target like a fastball. When they do that it leads to the floating flip change. I tell my pitchers I do not want to see a hump in their change up.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I don't know if I've ever seen a high-level player living on a flip-change as many think it is thrown... which is lead with the back of your hand and flip it up. For those that try it... it often ends up on a plane like this:

2qvz3x4.jpg

If you own a decent roll-type drop... the backside flip can be a really, really great complimenting pitch. For those that come to me with a developed 'flip'... I teach them to throw it out the backside of the hand.... if their existing pitch is decent. I'm more of a horseshoe kinda guy... but - I'll help a girl develop this pitch as it can really make a short-game/slap team look silly.

As far as grip... keep the pinky against the ring finger. Don't let it get behind the ball - like most tuck it... doing so puts it in the way of the backdoor (backside release). 4-seam is fine... many prefer the 2-seam.

Rather than let the elbow get into the side of the body early... like you would with a roll-type drop... have the pitcher think about getting her elbow to third (RHP... 1B for LHP). IOW, get the 'punching' knuckles facing her glove... not the catcher's glove. Knuckles... not fingers. Just tell her to bring all the fingers together... in a goose-head type fashion... or alternatively, get her thumb DOWN.

As someone mentioned above... keep the follow-through LOW... just like you see in a roll-drop. Doing so keeps the 'ceiling' low.... keeping the pitch/release 'under the table'. The backspin will add a hump... that sorta hangs there... before falling off the table. Let your follow-through height determine the maximum hump-height of the pitch.

Posture slightly forward. As far as this is concerned... it helps many to 'pin' the rear foot... which will bring the release a little forward... and keep the backside from contributing to the velocity of the pitch.

Looks like this:

2rd9gqt.jpg

Last edited:

Ball Game

Banned
May 8, 2015
No wonder us dummies get confused...some say hand up...some say down...some say finish low and some say high....some say shorten and deaden stride...some say don't....uuuuugh. Guess will just see what works for us!

IR a Pitching Dad

Sitting on a Bucket
Dec 4, 2014
My DD's pitching coach started to work with her on setting the ball deep in her palm so at the time of flip it flattens out and makes it much more effective. DD feels like it gives her much more control and as we all know in the words of Yogi, "90% is mental, the other half is physical." Good results in this past weekend's tourney throwing it that way.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I found it is best to flip it across not up, finishing with your hand near your glove side hip. That helps keep it down and not float. You should end with a spin somewhat like a curveball. It is a very simple pitch yet many struggle with it because they cannot "feel" the pitch. I found that daily practice of about 50 pitches (2 buckets) for a couple of weeks will make a big difference. This is not necessarily full on motion, just start from an open position with the ball at 9 and toss to target (bucket). Once you start getting the hang of it and can feel it you can progress to full motion. I like for my students to throw at least 200-300 CU every week.

This is you're best bet and what you see a lot of successful people throwing. If you think flip, it's going to be really tough. I have seen very few flip changes that are good. Most come around and over the ball.

I have had a number of kids pitching JV or just getting started just palm it and shove their thumb at the catcher (Not up, just to the catcher). Actually works pretty good.

Flip change...blah!

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Seems like we went through three or four CU grips trying to find the right one. Success was finally found using a circle change. Within an hour of practicing it IR2 had it down pat and we were off to the races. The reason it works so well is twofold: one, it removes the power finger from the ball which is where the loss of speed comes from and two, everything else stays exactly the same. When pitching the FB the index points the way and puts zip and spin on the ball. Using the other three fingers takes some practice but nothing like the practice needed for the flip. When practicing it before a game she'll throw FB then CU, back and forth for about five minutes as her CU tune up. You can try to throw the Circle CU as hard as you want and there's still nothing there. My pitcher hasn't yet learned to quit smiling or giggling every time she strikes a girl out using it. Like the UCLA pitcher we'll call at least one CU, maybe two or three depending on the at bat. Try it if you give up on the flip.

One other thing, when she was learning it we also threw it overhand like a baseball pitcher would do. This was just to get accustomed to throwing with three fingers. Doesn't take long for the mind to make the adjustment. Overhand, underhand, FB, CU back and forth for five minutes during the initial learning phase did wonders.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Question about circle change. Does the only the grip change and normal IR mechanics are used? Or as I have read and maybe not understood correctly the circle made by the finger leads through the throwing zone?

Thanks for the responses,

Sean

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
For us, I include myself because I learned to throw it as well, only the grip changes. Normal IR mechanics which is nice because it makes it easier to transition back and forth from CU to FB.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
My pitcher who uses the circle grip on her change is trying to hide the riseball grip, but she still shoves the change; no whip. If she has any whip, she throws it too hard.

A lot of people throw it too hard because the middle finger puts a lot of force behind the ball too. When that's the case I have had players just knuckle the index and middle finger. Ball will typically be slow and dive outside on right handed hitters because the ring and pinkie work around the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom