Any off-season ideas??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2013
Along with two workouts per week with the team and privates, my coach wants us to find alternatives to keep active during the off-season. I was thinking something along the lines of Zumba or kickboxing, but I was curious if anyone else had other ideas on programs that my teammates and I could do.
Thanks so much!:cool:

Jul 26, 2010
Yoga is great and very underestimated. Once you are able to understand how your body holds itself and your posture, it makes learning everything else (any other athletic activity) way more efficient.

-W

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm sure there are tons of great programs out there, but I'd also like to throw out the suggestion that you and the girls try at least one different activity every week or so. Some ideas: Frisbee, basketball, tennis, soccer, volleyball, hiking, swimming, trampoline.... Not only will you have blast, but you'll be keeping active, challenging yourselves, using different muscle groups and did I mention having a great time?

Mar 28, 2013
since the other ten months of the year they don't get to do any because of a brutal travel and training schedule. In the off season other than the 2-3 day a week work outs I suggest letting them do "girl stuff" malls, hanging with friends activities that they will have to say no to the rest of the year. Its as important to work out mentally as well as physically.

Oct 10, 2011
Boxing

I'm a big fan of Boxing or kickboxing. I did both for a long time and Boxing always seemed more intense because the kickboxing instructors seemed more worried about form etc... The Boxing instructors seemed more about fitness and core work. Make sense? I did get hit a lot.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
As a long distance runner, I would suggest that as well as some type of core strength workout. Many times I have seen a team come from the losers bracket in a double elimination tournament to win it all by playing 7 games or so. The teams that do this are usually the ones that worked the hardest in the off-season on endurance training.

That being said, with today's styles of dancing, you can get the same type of workout and have fun doing it.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Nothing, absolutely nothing to do with softball and nothing vigorous.

Light paced cardio. Take a good walk. Take the dog out to a field and throw a ball or Frisbee or just trot around with the pup.

Worried the arm needs an occasional work-out, go throw a tennis ball against a wall or toss around a football.

Let the body heal and rejuvenate. Put on a little fat so come the start of the prep for the season there is a little extra in the tank for the strong, intense workouts that so many coaches think are important.

I know this is contrary to what all the people collecting a paycheck are going to say, but if you don't give the body time to heal, the subject of chemical reinforcements may come about and that should be the last place an athlete wants to go.

Jul 2, 2013
Our high school has all the players fully engaged. All within the rules. Weightlifting workouts, next is conditioning (running). And practices , clinics with college coaches.

When involved with a national ranked high school program ... what a difference. I know many do not understand and think high school softball is a joke. Well it is not. It is big, and once November rolls around, us high school folks know it is our time, till May.

Travel is great. They provide a valuable service. What they do not provide is a dozen newspaper articles for a great team, nor the adulation by the folks who helped the player become great.

Sorry travel folks. Your system is a business (money from parents) but will never provide what these young ladies really want (maybe what the parents want tho).

These young ladies want team glory, rings, adulation by fellow classmates, honor.

Last edited:
May 31, 2012
SCdad. I hope the goal is to be the best player than you can be. You can't become your best unless your playing top notch competition regularly. How many high school games will yall play against other great high school teams?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi