Any off-season ideas??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
There are three publications who put out national rankings. Maxpreps, USA Today, and Student Sports.

They are not a joke. We go to TN to play great teams. We run the state. There is a science behind it. Our players go to D1 schools.

The joke is that you or anyone else would actually place any value behind it. Just was well pay $35 to be entered in the Who's Who of WhoGivesADamn Social Register. Or maybe have a star registered in your DD's name.

My DD has colleges offering because of what she does in high school. We don't play anymore in summer. Why? ... what is the use ... we focus all of our energy playing for the high school coach, and getting in the newspaper. Getting respect by travel players who know who we are, and have not seen us in a while. Getting respect from very powerful folks in our community. None of that happens in travel. Respect comes from giving people directly around you glory. Travel folks, who don't get it, are selfish.

Because she hits home runs against signed D1 pitchers (on the high school fields).

Yes we wait until May. The press is waiting. Glory is directly ahead. Unlike travel where nobody knows, well except for college recruiters. The high school game is tops.

Big org. travel folks know this. There is an ongoing battle between the big orgs. and high school softball. That is why the travel folks insist on cutting down high school, why I say? I know why. My goal here always is to promote the high school game. Take back the innocents, and youth, and purity of the game. And not say ... we can do for you ... if you as a parent just dig a little deeper in your back pocket. That is where this is heading folks.

In the end, high school softball will survive and prosper. In part because of folks like me, but mostly because that is what the communities in the USA want for the daughters.

Good for you and your DD, but it all depends on where you are standing as to whether your comments above are true. There are many places in this country where HS softball is an afterthought and offered only because they want to have a boy's baseball team. Other places, it is highly regarded. But in no case is the HS softball game recruited as heavily as you supposed it is in most areas.

I would love to see it move back toward the point where it makes a difference, but whether you think it does or not, HS ball has minimal bearing on the recruiting process outside of local colleges. And most places of which I am familiar, there is little to no animosity between HS & travel ball with the exception of those schools which start in early august that effect NCs.

Dec 19, 2012
From MTR:

Good for you and your DD, but it all depends on where you are standing as to whether your comments above are true. There are many places in this country where HS softball is an afterthought and offered only because they want to have a boy's baseball team. Other places, it is highly regarded. But in no case is the HS softball game recruited as heavily as you supposed it is in most areas.

What MTR states here is so true....consider yourself fortunate SCdad.

Oct 19, 2009
If you look on You Tube Auburn Softball has a number of videos on different workouts that may give you some ideals. Search (Auburn softball workouts).

DD HS SB team worked out with weights along with football before school each day. :eek:

Jul 2, 2013
If you look on You Tube Auburn Softball has a number of videos on different workouts that may give you some ideals. Search (Auburn softball workouts).

DD HS SB team worked out with weights along with football before school each day. :eek:

Our HS has been working our with weights twice a week since June, and will continue until official tryouts start February 6th.

The HS softball team gets preferential scheduling. We weight lift the same time as the football team, right after school. But not the same days, alternating days. During summer, it was lunchtime.

The weightlifting at our HS far exceeds anything the travel folks do, in our area.

Most our HS girls do both HS workouts, and high level travel.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
The joke is that you or anyone else would actually place any value behind it. Just was well pay $35 to be entered in the Who's Who of WhoGivesADamn Social Register. Or maybe have a star registered in your DD's name.

But in no case is the HS softball game recruited as heavily as you supposed it is.

Many on our HS team play for top travel teams. Mine did, until this summer. Then she decided to just stay with HS.

You have your opinion on National Polls. I have mine. Like anything, they are subjective to the publication and its purpose for getting readers. In general though, they take the best teams for every state, look at the records, and the past history and try to rank them. We placed as high as 15th in one, 23rd in another, and honorable mention in yet another.

No, these rankings are not a $35 Who's Who honor like you imply. But verification that your team earned the honor for winning the games in your state to be considered the best. It is an honor, those who call it a joke, are mis-informed.

And for your Who's Who remark. I think you know us too well, as my DD made the Who's Who IN BASEBALL when 8, 9 and 10 years old, three consecutive years.. Her picture is in Cooperstown, one of the very few girls. Back then I was super proud, but then realized some of what you say is true. Still to get even that honor my DD had to play well enough against the boys to be picked. So for a girl, in a sport for boys, I am still pleased, and it was the best $35 ever spent.

Sure the best high schools are not better than the best travel teams. I have repeatedly said so. But the best high school teams are only a small step below them. The best high schools are better than the vast majority of A Level travel teams. How would I know? because I know the players on the best travel teams. Have played against, and with them for years, with no discernable difference is skills. Plus a bunch of them are on our high school team.

Exactly correct about the recruiting. Though you have to really know the numbers for your point to have validity. The top 1% of players are national players, and really need the services of elite travel orgs. The next top 5% are not national players, and will go local to college for the most part. Mine is in that group. Has local colleges interested. Not a bunch, for she has definitely hurt her chances because she opted out of travel this summer.

My DD has already made up her mind. She loves high school softball, and has had her name in the newspaper more than most. But has no interest in playing college softball. So even though colleges are knocking, my DD is not opening the door.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
I appreciate your passion for high school softball, scdad (it's not even a sanctioned high school sport in our state), although I don't fully understand your obsession with turning every thread you enter into a discussion about the honor and selflessness of high school ball vs. the greed and selfishness of travel ball. I mean this was a thread about off season workouts.

Jul 2, 2013
I appreciate your passion for high school softball, scdad (it's not even a sanctioned high school sport in our state), although I don't fully understand your obsession with turning every thread you enter into a discussion about the honor and selflessness of high school ball vs. the greed and selfishness of travel ball. I mean this was a thread about off season workouts.

You are right in a certain sense.

My DD chose HS softball. My passion is for her. If she chose otherwise, I would be on the other side of the fence.

My remarks of this versus that is proportionate to folks who want to quote and challenge. I am outnumbered.

Travel has a tremendous impact for many folks, including myself. It is best when a group of like minded people get together and try to make the best travel team possible. It still can be done, with many rewards.

I am concerned with the recent growth of the super powerful travel organizations, and the skyrocketing costs that result. Tourneys in excess of 1000 dollars, and only getting worse. Where does this money come from? Not the top 1 percent, who they covet and service well, but somewhere else?

The beautiful game of softball is a game of the masses, I am afraid it is heading in a direction otherwise. I am fighting back, trying to be polite, on a message board.

There are other options that recruiters notice. High School is one. Home grown travel teams is another. That is why I am here.

The off-season for some ... is on-season for others. Sorry to hi-jack, and will step aside for a while.

I am glad my DD grew up when she did. Tomorrows world will be different, so listen, the changes are happening now, and fast. Hopefully my DD will bless me with a little one to put a ball and bat in the crib. That is why.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523