Any Input Appreciated (2 DDs)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Your older daughter also needs to simplify her pre-motion. She's doing 2 of them, and while I'm not sure it's technically illegal (every umpire seems to have a different interpretation of that rule), someone may mention it. It's also just plain unnecessary.

Tis is what I was coming to say. There is no need to waste that much energy. Putting the ball above the head in pre pitching motion achieves nothing (besides looking cool ill agree with that!) but taking energy from the pitcher.

Nov 23, 2012
North
What are thoughts out there on the reaching back before coming forward. The more i read tells me i should work with them both at hiding the ball as long possible. Been working on driving out with straighter foot.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Reaching back isn't necessary. I know we see a lot of the greats with flashy pre-motions, but I limit that in beginners and encourage them just to pitch.

My DD's exaggerated pre-motion, high over her head, ruined her shoulder.

Jun 24, 2009
What are thoughts out there on the reaching back before coming forward. The more i read tells me i should work with them both at hiding the ball as long possible. Been working on driving out with straighter foot.
My DD was taught to reach back when she started pitching. Over time I realized it was just wasted motion.Here she is last spring.
100 0210 iPhone cell - YouTube Not a lot of wasted energy.
No need to turn the foot at all to drive out.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you look at the model pitchers thread their pre-motions are all over the place. Turning towards 3rd (right-handed pitcher) with the ball in their glove seems to becoming more popular.

I have to admit we our trying to simplify DD’s pre-motion but I wonder how important it is.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My oldest is just turning 12. Pitched for 4 years. Began with Hello Elbow and Stepping Style instructor for 1st 2 years. Leap and Drag last 2 years and just began talking to her about IR.

Youngest is 9 and pitched for 2 years. Began talks with her also on IR.

Van Front - YouTube
Van 3rd Base - YouTube

Younger one (Van) has one of the same issues my DD corrected so I can see it from the front view...

Pause the video at about 0:04 of the front view. The swimming glove arm pulls her stride to the left of the power line and then the back leg HAS to follow it over and it comes off the ground. Guess what - that is illegal - there is also no drag and though it is hard to see in these short clips, there is going to be a point where both her feet are off the ground (her leaning forward is not helping this either).

Correction is mainly getting the glove hand over and keeping it within the body (multiple ways of doing this - pitching into the glove, pitching next to a wall, enforcing coming on the powerline, etc, etc). There are other issues, but some of them may self-correct when you fix the glove arm.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
With the old video of Van, I was seeing the upper body being too forward during the mid-stride and release. The body needs to lean forward during the explosion, but during the stride and plant she needs to think "stay tall." Land with the with the "nose behind the belly button and belly button behind the toes" in a tall, but rearward lean. Looking forward to seeing the updated video.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2012
North
Van is definitely harder to teach. Easy to talk to but seem like broken record. Used the same "nose,belly, toes" talk. She'll do it for a few then revert back. Practice tonight so we'll see see. At least she uses different saying then her sis. "I'm trying" vs "I KNOW"(hate that one):rolleyes:

Bee will listen just needs that different voice every once in a while to reenforce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors