Any Input Appreciated (2 DDs)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would work on keeping the back foot down and drag it right up to the front heel. That might work on correcting the "nose over toes" finish that both girls have.

I am guessing that due to the girls being good athletes, that they have been successful as pitchers, so far. But, I see mechanical issues that if corrected, will allow them to have greater success.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Second what Amy said—they both need some work on posture, and part of it is a drive through problem. Make sure the drive foot stays on the ground, and the knee on that leg points forward to the catcher throughout the drive through.

Your older daughter also needs to simplify her pre-motion. She's doing 2 of them, and while I'm not sure it's technically illegal (every umpire seems to have a different interpretation of that rule), someone may mention it. It's also just plain unnecessary.

Your younger daughter is pretty coordinated and aggressive in her stride for a 9-year-old. She is doing a funky release though, stopping her hand at release and jutting her elbow out to the side. I'd work on having the elbow lead into the throw zone with forearm lag down the back side of the circle, and keeping it close to her body longer.

Jul 26, 2010
If they both take a more aggressive leap (faster harder longer), then they will have to plant stronger with the stride foot which will create the proper resistance needed for good posture.

Right now, they're just taking exaggerated steps, which does not transfer momentum/energy needed to set up the proper mechanics and posture for the pitch.

Start fast and stay fast.

It may be that they start to overstride, but this is OK. I'd much rather correct an overstride issue then a no-stride issue.

Bee is better then Van in this regard, but she's still turning out her back foot before she starts, which means she's cheating herself out of a powerful drive forward. When she does this, she's using the muscles of her hips to stride rather than the powerful muscles in her legs that a sprinter or jumper uses to create momentum.

-W

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2012
North
Thanks for the quick input. Practice tonight, i'll put the info to use!

I'll let them read this also so its not just dad saying:rolleyes:

Apr 25, 2010
I will leave the pitching mechanics to the others. My question is, are you trying to teach them to field after they pitch? Because they both look like they are more worried about fielding position than they are their pitching practice. Maybe you should have pitching practice and fielding practice separately.

Nov 23, 2012
North
Just fielding it back off the wall. Past PC was big on prepared defensive position with Bee. I carried over with Van.

Nov 23, 2012
North
I usually do, depends. Here I was taking video.

Summers are spent catching.

Winter, there's warm ups off wall ( taped corners of kzone) while catchers get in drills. pitchers do a couple of drills then catchers come over.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie