America's Team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD went to Italy 2 years ago with this group. My husband and I also went. We had a wonderful time. If you can afford it, it's a great experience.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
my dd got an invitation to join this team also. but I didn't know if it was a real team or not? do they play competitive softball?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
If you do some research, you will find that there are several of these companies springing up now. Sports tours have become big business. My dd played in Italy this past summer. We heard of these various teams all over the place. Check out to see what they really give you for your money. Where are you going and where are you staying? What is provided? How much of these tours are play and how much is sightseeing? Who are the coaches? Who are the other players. While they may say that a coach has to recommend who gets to go, what does that really mean?

Here are some pics of dd in Italy:

Attachments

• BB Hitting Italy.jpg
    BB Hitting Italy.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 147
  • BB Italy 3.jpg
    BB Italy 3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 143
  • View San Marino 2.jpg
    View San Marino 2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 142
Mar 13, 2010
We have them in Aus.

The only thing I'd be uncomfortable is them calling themselves USA. You earn getting on the national team, you don't pick a team and travel as your country.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
America's Team partners with ACIS, which specializes in Educational travel. We flew to Milan, did some sightseeing the first day, played a double header against local teams the next. Then we took a bus to Florence, toured there, visited Montecatini and spent a day on the beach before traveling to Verona where the team played another double header, then headed to Rome where they played another double header and spent a day sightseeing. The kids played 6 games. There was a variety of competition. One of the players on the team in Rome just returned from playing for the Italian national team. My DD team was coach by 3 time gold medalist Leah O'Brien Amico. Another team traveling from Rome up to Milan was coached by Dot Richardson. They don't promote themselves as being the national team. After each double-header, the host team threw some kind of party. We still talk about how much fun the party was in Milan (Bollate). Each city offered a different type of get together. The kids danced in Bollate, played Foosball in Verona and just chatted in Rome. The players in Rome spoke more English than in the other cities, but it was never an issue. It was well worth the trip. The gentleman we dealt with is Brigham Joy from America's team.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD's team was selected by a prominent HC at the D-II level and from the West Coast. This coach is on several NCAA Committees. Pretty much every girl on the team was or had been nominated for D-II All American. In fact, more than half of the team were 2 time D-II All Americans. The Hotels, Team Marquis etc. all recognized DD's team as "Team USA." I don't know to what extent that was determined or who determined it. I went and read Italian Team Websites that we played and they referred to DD's Team the same way. Apparently that was the same for the newspapers. Games were played on TV and there were press people at all of the events. DD's Team toured with a similar team that was D-III with the same credentials. The teams dd's team played were comprised of local players along with professional players. For most of the teams, the pitcher was not Italian. Most were from either the U.S. or Australia. We played one team that had it's SS play for the Australian National Team in Arizona a few weeks later when we returned home. I think this player played 3rd for Australia's National Team. There was also a very tall left handed pitcher who threw for Australia's National Team. We watched them on TV. The teams DD played against were almost all women. A few had younger girls but they didn't play. One team had several ladies that had played for the Italian Olympic Team. One of the coaches for us had played on the Canadian National and Olympic Team a few years ago and so, knew some of those ladies. IMO, the quality of play was very good and the pitching outstanding since most of the teams had former D-I pitchers from America and/or pitchers from other national teams.

Looza, DD's team must have played against at least 10-12 girls from Australia who were playing professionally in Italy.

Dec 10, 2012
USA
Thank you for the responses. DD is a freshman in high school. The team she would play for would be coached by Christine Ambrosi. I would love for DD to have the experience. I'm not sure we can swing it financially.

So far, I can't find any evidence of a negative experience.

Oct 10, 2011
team America

We were considering it also and figuring out if the timing is right. DD is a sophomore and we thought we might not have too many chances to do something like this. We just received another email about a hour ago. It's coach Ambrosi also.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1