Amanda Stockman, prayers for the family

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
This makes me very sad. It reminds me of Brianna Mathews several years ago. The transition from 7th/8th grade to HS is a very tough period for teenagers, especially girls. My own DD struggles with anxiety and depression, and began cutting herself in 8th grade. Between 8th and 9th grade, she was hospitalized 4 times. I am so grateful that we were able to get her the help she needed, and she is now back on track to graduate form HS on time and seriously thinking about going to college (this was not even on our radar two years ago!). My hope is that parents will see these stories and talk to their kids about how they are feeling and how they are dealing with stress.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Having gone through some rough times with my older DD in the past, all I can say is: Talk to your kids. Every day. And not just "How was your day?". Get involved and be interested in what they're doing, on and off the field.

This was a beautiful girl with no visible issues to those who knew her. A bright future in softball, well-liked by her teammates, a good student. We can only wonder now what might have happened if she had someone to help her through her personal issues.

Youth counselors are easy to find, and can be very helpful for teens who might not want to talk to mom or dad about their problems. I cannot imagine what the Stockman family is going through right now.

Jun 12, 2015
Access to help us a huge problem. I have a friend who lives near the poverty line. Her late husband committed suicide after unsuccessful treatment for depression. Their daughter, now a teenager, it's displaying similar symptoms to what he experienced at that age. I think he was around 20 when he killed himself. It's terrifying. She's having a hard time finding help she can afford. The state insurance doesn't help much. Psychiatrists are telling her 450 for a consultation them 150+ per hour. She is trying to find another job basically to pay for medical expenses to get her daughter help. I don't know how to fix this but it's an issue for a lot of people.

Jun 11, 2013
I lived in that school district years ago and now have a High School freshman. Really hits home. Prayers and thoughts for the family.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Between 8th and 9th grade, she was hospitalized 4 times. I am so grateful that we were able to get her the help she needed, and she is now back on track to graduate form HS on time and seriously thinking about going to college

I'm so glad for your family that your DD is coming through and that you were able to get her help and she was able to take it. Our DD is in 8th and we're just realizing how stressful this time can be for them. It's scary as a parent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish