A sad day.....DD's basketball career is probably over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If I had to pick one for my dd to quit it would be volleyball the HS varsity coach is not the nicest person. Basketball starts in 2 weeks and I think the DD is looking forward to it. She is in the middle of her Junior year and this will be her first year on Varsity for BB. There are a couple of freshman who will probably start this season, she got to play with them at a couple of camps in the summer and I think she is looking forward to the improved teammates

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
JAD- I feel for you. My oldest decided last year she didn't want to play basketball anymore. She hid the open gym announcements from me when she was a freshman. This last summer the varsity coach sent home a flyer for his summer camp for another DD, wrote a note in it encouraging my oldest to come back to no avail. :(

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I really enjoy watching DD play roundball. She excels at it and is a leader on the floor but she can't stay out of the scrum under the boards and she is constantly on the floor. Her knees look like someone took a grinder to them some nights. I really appreciate her passion to play hard but I'm worried about it ending all sports when it gets so rough. JRs and SRs have little patience for an annoying freshman guard who loves to set picks.

Aug 14, 2011
They get to a point where sometimes try have to choose. My DD had volleyball. In high school she didn't go out for the school team because it started Aug 1 and interfered into Fall softball, but did do club volley until her junior year. Then she chose to focus solely on softball and all the work that went with that. Made me sad because she enjoyed it, I enjoyed watching her, and she was pretty darn good. I guess it's part of growing up.

Oct 23, 2013
DD's basketball career ended and she will never pick up a basketball again even to just toss it to someone. DD was leading the team in scoring in 8th grade. Team was not good. DD did shoot a lot but they won. In game, coach told her that if she took a shot, she would be benched. She stole a ball, dribbled the length of the court and made a layup. She was benched. The team did not score again that game. DD benched for the next four games. Team played a couple of games where they scored 6 or less for entire game. We are getting killed and dd was/is tall. She can go between legs, has a spin move, can make left and right handed layups... (In the winters she practiced with my varsity team from the time she could handle a ball.) She is put into the game and told if she shoots, she will be benched. She steals the ball in a diamond and one press, goes to make a layup with teammates yelling at her to stop. She stops passes, gets the ball back and makes a layup. Benched. Never played in another game. Coach threatened to kill her. Coach was fired. DD was asked many times to play in HS. I was the Head Coach in Basketball and had resigned. Like I said, you can not get her to pick up a basketball at all.

This is just wrong. I've seen it before and it makes me want to "kill them". How can a school allow this at all is beyond me. They should have been stopped a lot sooner than waiting til the season was over to fire them. How can anyone think this is productive? SMH

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD#3 did the opposite. Her HS softball team had a clique that made life miserable for underclassmen, and after her sophomore year, she said, "Thanks, but no thanks." The HS softball coach got made at her and me...

Apr 11, 2012
Sorry to hear it and can relate....try not to be too bummed out though.

Girls HS basketball is a brutal 5.5 month grind and head trip...and compared to HS softball in our area, isn't even on the same planet overall skill set wise....but my DD has given up basketball too.....she is a junior and played varsity last year, and some as a freshman with a really good coach who retired, but last year the HS hired a brand new young female coach who was more concerned with how hot she looked rather than putting the best team on the court. My DD started the first four games averging over 10 a game....(big metro suburban level)....then goes just 0-4 from three point land and never recovered with the coach minutes wise...never started again either, and played only about 10-12 minutes a game, while two players (and returning this year) that their mommies who run the booster club, brown-nosed to get their kids a bunch of playing time.....and it was painful to watch.....but when my DD verballed to play college softball last january, she said she's not going through that again and didn't want to risk injury. I really, really enjoyed telling the coach in a private meeting last summer on exactly why my DD wasn't playing anymore...I was pleasant, but pretty "matter-of-fact"...

But I am going to miss my DD playing basketball, as it does have its moments....luckily, the HS softball coach puts the best players on the field at all times....well at least for the last two years she has.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
My DD#3 did the opposite. Her HS softball team had a clique that made life miserable for underclassmen, and after her sophomore year, she said, "Thanks, but no thanks." The HS softball coach got made at her and me...

Then he should have done something about the upper classmen problem.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
DD ended her soccer career this fall to play softball. I drive by the soccer fields every day on our way to a from softball games and practice. Funny how I miss seeing her play soccer

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Just got an message on my laptop that tryouts for the HS basketball team are in 30 minutes....but my DD will not be trying out this year. She decided to give up basketball so she can concentrate on TB and winter softball workouts. It is probably the right decision, but she has been playing basketball since she was 6 and a part of me hates to see her give it up - even though she has no chance of playing basketball at the next level (inherited her dad's affliction of "white man's disease").

I like the girls playing different sports. Always the risk of getting hurt
Daughter 1 played 12 varsity sports in high school, plays D-1 college softballball travel club team
Daughter 2 more athletic played 10 varsity sports, sat the bench on the other 2 with torn ACL freshman and senior year. She walked on a D-1 school in basketball this freshman year and is on the practice squad

SL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1