A Level Travel Teams- Parent Coaches/No parent coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
As long as she is having fun and enjoys the game it doesn’t really matter.
I read every single post and this is your conclusion? *facepalm* ;)

I do not understand what you have against 3B, but IMO, knowing that she'll be in the lineup and practicing each week with a really strong team would have a lot of value. I don't know what your DD's softball goals are, but you've described her as a great hitter with quickness and an incredible arm. Sounds to me that should could potentially be a great 3B. I'm glad you found what seems like a good fit for your family.

Jun 22, 2017
Man it sure sounds like this Nationally ranked team missed out on their chance to improve their MI! And it really sounds like you had your mind completely made up before you started this thread. You don't like daddy ball and by your own conviction you are an expert talent evaluator. Maybe you are. This coach did what was best for his team, and like others have said, doing it well. You need to move on and quit trying to justify why he upset you so much. Take the advice from him and say "Thank You and Have a Nice Day" and move on. Why write the post?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
That's your opinion but other coaches have the opinion that unless someone REALLY REALLY surpasses your current player's talent level, you are better off leaving things as is. You said this is a nationally ranked team. Obviously things are going well for them. Why make a big change at SS if you aren't really improving yourself very much? Bottom line it is his team and he can do whatever he sees fit to do with it, regardless of whether you think he is right or wrong.
Just now getting in on this thread........here's the only post that really matters, whether you like it or not. His team, his decision! The coach needs a 3B, if you want her to play for this coach / team, be the best 3B he's ever seen! Learn new positions, be on the roster, be in the lineup, BE ON THE FIELD!

I generally agree with the SS being probably one of the best athletes on any given team, generally! But if I coach a team who's getting killed at small ball, especially at 3B and I bring a kid in who can shut it down, she's just as important to me as a coach as that athletic SS.

My DD plays SS and pitches, I bust her chops all the time telling her I'd rather watch our slightly demented 3B and catcher work! You may disagree with me on this, a truly gifted 3B is a little crazy, they have the mindset that no one can hit a ball by them and aren't afraid of anyone or anything! Just like a true catcher, a truly gifted 3B is a thing of beauty to watch!

Apr 28, 2019
Man it sure sounds like this Nationally ranked team missed out on their chance to improve their MI! And it really sounds like you had your mind completely made up before you started this thread. You don't like daddy ball and by your own conviction you are an expert talent evaluator. Maybe you are. This coach did what was best for his team, and like others have said, doing it well. You need to move on and quit trying to justify why he upset you so much. Take the advice from him and say "Thank You and Have a Nice Day" and move on. Why write the post?
I
Not upset at all. Just curios if it’s normal to make assumptions without actually seeing players in actual positions.
My daughter was starting 2nd, played some SS, pitched, & hit 4th on a very good 14U A level team at age 12.
Most of her teammates play HS ball for same school and are playing for a State title on Sat. She will be playing with them after HS season ends.
This new 14U A level club has her starting at SS pitching & playing some 2B. So the NR Coach was in the minority with where she should play especially not seeing her in those positions.

Apr 28, 2019
Just now getting in on this thread........here's the only post that really matters, whether you like it or not. His team, his decision! The coach needs a 3B, if you want her to play for this coach / team, be the best 3B he's ever seen! Learn new positions, be on the roster, be in the lineup, BE ON THE FIELD!

I generally agree with the SS being probably one of the best athletes on any given team, generally! But if I coach a team who's getting killed at small ball, especially at 3B and I bring a kid in who can shut it down, she's just as important to me as a coach as that athletic SS.

My DD plays SS and pitches, I bust her chops all the time telling her I'd rather watch our slightly demented 3B and catcher work! You may disagree with me on this, a truly gifted 3B is a little crazy, they have the mindset that no one can hit a ball by them and aren't afraid of anyone or anything! Just like a true catcher, a truly gifted 3B is a thing of beauty to watch!
At older ages 3rd becomes more important when strategy is more important like playing small ball against dominant pitchers.
Younger ages tend to be girls with limited range with good arms. I put older girls with strong arms and better softball IQ at 3rd generally. You can kinda hide lesser athletes at 3rd especially with fast pitcher and most plays being made middle/right side of field. I would love to have the option of having one of my better athletes at 3rd but just not enough quality athletes to fill all 9 slots.

Apr 28, 2019
At older ages 3rd becomes more important when strategy is more important like playing small ball against dominant pitchers.
Younger ages tend to be girls with limited range with good arms. I put older girls with strong arms and better softball IQ at 3rd generally. You can kinda hide lesser athletes at 3rd especially with fast pitcher and most plays being made middle/right side of field. I would love to have the option of having one of my better athletes at 3rd but just not enough quality athletes to fill all 9 slots.
Absolutely his team his decision. Also his loss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles