41 to 0

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Normally they are very respectable, but even after trying to have a conversation with this coach afterwards it became a shouting match. He didn't even understand the point I was trying to make. I coach a very young 18u team that consists of 18 girls that love softball and are a true B level team. We know we are not the strongest team but use these local fun league games to give the youngest ones the opportunity to develop their on field confidence...well tonight he set me back months in our progress. I really despise coaches that do not see the big picture of athletics and our role as coaches.

I'm a little lost, you coach a 18U team and 1 game has set you back months in your progress with this team?

Great, some of you would rather lose 41-0 than to have runners for the other team leave early. I'm sure the pitcher appreciates your approach. With a score of 41-0, I wonder how long you would leave a young lady standing in that circle? I'm telling my team to step off early. I'm not asking them to hit from the other side, bunt, strike out on purpose, ... You can have runners step off without it being obvious.

We had a high school team last year drop us after a game where we beat them 18-0. I had my girls leave early and I had a talk with the umpires about leaving early. The umpires and the head coach, at that time thanked me. This team was rolling over its opponents and wanted to step up a level and play us. They weren't ready. What I don't understand is the coach thanking us for doing it during the game and then calling my AD to complain the next day and dropping us the next day. BTW, they beat a team really badly about a week later. I guess they didn't "leave early" against a team from a school half their size.

There are other ways that lets the other team get some work in while getting a chance to make some outs on their own. Steal, but have your player leave a half a second (or more) after the pitch is thrown, have them drop down a bunt goes hard to the pitcher, bat from the opposite side, swing at some bad pitches, let some strikes go by, etc. At least the other team has the opportunity to manufacture some outs on their own. Unless it is a rec team playing a solid A team then that should work for the most part. If not, well...

Jul 9, 2010
I agree with that!

This would be a game where your pitcher that never gets a chance, gets a chance. Same with other positions. Take as many starters out as possible.

If possible, speak with the other coach and turn it into a practice; or agree on a game limit, such as ending it early after so many innings.

This seems pretty naive. I can't imagine any coach suffering that kind of beat down agreeing to turning the game into a practice. That seems like more of a dishonor to the competitors.

There is a practical side to stepping off. You invoke the mercy rule quicker, and get everyone out of the heat before having to play more games.

Mar 13, 2010
It's a horrible situation for both sides I think. I've been in a team that was thrashing another team. We stopped stealing, stopped bunting and some of the better players started hitting delibratly to first. I hit a roller to first (and at the time I was VERY, VERY SLOW) First base fumbled the ball, then threw it to home where it was a tag play. Overthrrew as well. She stepped around me to attempt the out at home. I just remember looking at my coach in shock at that point. I caught the blue's eye and left early the next pitch.

I also was part of a team that was in a round robin competition where A and B teams were together. First game we were playing a A team combined of the top two A teams in the competition. And we had our worst game ever. First pitcher got pulled after the first dig because they were hitting her solidly, but every mistake was being made on the field. When i went on same thing happened. Except this team stepped off the base and went to the umpire 'look I'm leaving early' Another batter would stand there and swing as slowly as she could to miss the ball. By the end of the third dig my coach had to pull me as I was so angry I was ready to have a go.

You can get out without being disrespectful.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I'd rather get beat 41-0 than have a team step off for charity.

How many times have you been beat 41-0? It's not about you. It's about the players. Being humiliated 41-0 seems much worse than losing 15-0 with gimme outs. Neither is good, but 41-0? Really?!

Apr 1, 2010
I'm a little lost, you coach a 18U team and 1 game has set you back months in your progress with this team?

I've got to admit, I'm confused too. Maybe the poster mistyped and meant 8U rather than 18U?

From my perspective, 18Us are the big girls, who are responsible for talking to their coaches, taking care of their own gear and schedules, etc. I wouldn't expect girls playing 18U to need to be coddled at all. JMHO.

Nov 1, 2008
Our rec ball team was pretty dang good this year and we had a few teams that we had to call off the dogs against. We were well acquainted with the umpire of a particular tournament as he had called a few of our games in other tournaments. I told him our girls might leave a little too early during the last at bat. They still ran like they were stealing, but left just early enough for it to look like a "mistake" and got called out. One girl begged me not to make her leave early so I told her to steal but get thrown out. They threw the ball into center. She left early the next pitch. Next year our team may be the weak team and need a little compassion. I want that city to remember we showed them some when they needed it.

May 12, 2013
As a coach of a 14u TB team that is very young and not very good, I have had coaches of other teams show me mercy with them stepping off the bases. I did not mind it, nor did I take it as charity or being embarassed. It is part of the game. One thing that I have noticed with "elite" TB teams is that their pitchers are why they are so good. They have one "untouchable" pitcher and maybe one more that is a very good 2nd starter. They don't have a 3rd starter or the coach isn't willing to take a chance with her, even if they are up 12-0 after the 1st inning. Some of our tournaments use pool play to seed teams and runs against them count toward their seeding. I know that is ridiculous, but those are the rules...

Oct 24, 2012
As a coach of a 14u TB team that is very young and not very good, I have had coaches of other teams show me mercy with them stepping off the bases. I did not mind it, nor did I take it as charity or being embarassed. It is part of the game. One thing that I have noticed with "elite" TB teams is that their pitchers are why they are so good. They have one "untouchable" pitcher and maybe one more that is a very good 2nd starter. They don't have a 3rd starter or the coach isn't willing to take a chance with her, even if they are up 12-0 after the 1st inning. Some of our tournaments use pool play to seed teams and runs against them count toward their seeding. I know that is ridiculous, but those are the rules...

We got skunked about two months ago, 15-0. The coach, although nice guy, was disappointed when their pitcher walked two girls in the final inning. He had her on a pitch count of 15 per inning. I was impressed with this girl and no one on our team could catch up with her, but up 12-0 in the 3rd inning and he was still calling junk was somewhat lame. But on the other hand, he knew we werent his competition - he was probably seeing how she was throwing that day. YAWNNNN!!!

When rec teams play in tournaments, this is what happens - even if you're the best rec team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877