2011 rule changes per sanctioning body

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
And there are those who may think it was illogical for the others to move to 43'

I have never been a big fan of following the leader just because

Here is where the problem lies, we play a mixture of tournaments ASA, USSA, NSA.
The last couple years we have played less NSA and more of the other two. Now we are
considering going strictly USSSA with a couple NSA tournaments sprinkled in. It seems as though
the losers here are the ASA sanctioned tournaments as there are several sizable local travel programs
taking the same direction as us.

Put yourself in the TD shoes for a moment. Last season we brought 6 teams to each tournament we played.
As tournament director, would you miss having our program as well as a couple others (20 teams total)
in your park for the weekend? This is a pretty good size loss of revenue. Just saying...........

Feb 6, 2009
No rules against playing up in 16u ASA if you want the pitching distance to be the same.

-W

That's what we're doing.
Playing PONY at U14 for 5 tournaments and either USSSA or ASA at U16 for a few.
For what it's worth in the Northeast, it's easier to find PONY or USSSA A level tournaments anyway. I don't think ASA is particularly well run

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Where I am Nsa is the most poorly run. We considered playing up but
our roster is 13U. I guess ASA loses. One city in particular is ASA and runs
2 very good tournaments. Their TD has already had constant contact with us
but unfortunately will lose our $$. He is a nice guy but life goes on

Jul 26, 2010
Most of the good tournaments out here in NorCal are ASA. USSSA and NSA get cancelled half the time, and are usually set up to cater to B and C level teams anyway. I think it really depends way more on the tournament director then the sanctioning body to set up a good tournament.

-W

Feb 6, 2009
Not necessarily... Our area ASA commissioner is terrible. He's not helpful. He stresses more B level tournaments. I can't actually find one A level U16 tournament in our area. I also think that the central PONY and USSSA website is better set up than the ASA website.
To sign up PONY anywhere in the zone, you get the database and wala tournaments. ASA isn't like that. It's segmented.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
No rules against playing up in 16u ASA if you want the pitching distance to be the same.

-W

That was actually the train of thought when the change was rejected. Too many folks lock in on the age allowance, not the actual age of the participants. Apparently, the consensus was that those qualified for 14U, but were good enough pitchers to handle the 43' would already be up at 16U where the majority of the HS players are participating. However, those who were qualified, but not good enough would stay in 14U along with the 12 & 11 who have advanced their skills enough to play at 14U.

These votes only occurred after these changes had been rejected by consensus of committee and were held on the floor of the General Council for discussion and vote.

The votes by the General Council in Shreveport this year were:

Change to 43' for 14U A & B - Rejected 169-34
Change to 43' for 14U A only - Rejected 161-40

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish