1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I get it man, it can be a hard concept to wrap your head around but this stuff is about to blow up. The young lady who connected the dots is starting to somewhat speak openly about this stuff. Which makes sense because a regular coach wasn’t going to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks, did i miss who this person was? the young lady who connected the dots that is. Maybe i just need some more practical info on this and how it contributes to power generation.

May 12, 2016
I dont disagree with you on most of this, just questioning your second and last point if someone can provide the Miggy 6x gif for this? It shows his posture at 6 pitch locations. There isn't much different with any of the 'pre-launch' IMO. But agree it is different mainly after launch.
It's possible I didn't explain myself well.. I am not concerned about what happens prior to prelaunch regarding posture.. at launch and preceding launch is where it becomes very important. Posture in a batters stance is just style IMO

May 12, 2016
Thanks, i have watched some of his stuff and liked it. need to go back thru his catalog.

Bold above, can you define this for me in you words? tds mentioned and i think i may have asked it to him as well in a different way.
Shoulders are turning and the hands are left behind.. disconnection. Casey explains in the video better than I could ever put in words :)

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Shoulders are turning and the hands are left behind.. disconnection. Casey explains in the video better than I could ever put in words :)
Thanks for that. I have tried to relay this to me is connection as well. However there are some hitters who i am being told are still 'taking the slack out' and it is part of the kinetic chain that the hands stay back a bit. Maybe i am mistaking that for a farther back total handset.

So you are saying connection is only hands to shoulder and not anything to do with sequence or torso or legs? thanks again.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
It's possible I didn't explain myself well.. I am not concerned about what happens prior to prelaunch regarding posture.. at launch and preceding launch is where it becomes very important. Posture in a batters stance is just style IMO
Sorry, i am just asking questions now that probably dont matter. bold above, how far preceding launch? That was my question that i think the stride is pre launch and that it is mostly the same maybe a little diff in timing of toe touch because this is started too soon in the pitchers throw that you cannot change your stride mid stride. maybe some angle or small correction. That's why the Miggy 6x GIF is nice to compare. i didn't see any significant change in posture 'pre-launch' before the barrel was actively move to hit the ball.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Fanboi,

I try not to get to involved with trying to push things on people but I see to much potential in your DD to just sit out. Below is a video taken of my DD yesterday...... can you see any difference’s compared to the second video from a little over a year ago?

May 3, 2014
Ferree came in with no experience in baseball/softball. No preconceived notions about how things should be. Her lens is how the body is designed to move. There are many baseball pitchers in particular that owe her either directly or indirectly big time. Hitting is getting an overhaul bc she has shed some serious light on what moves what and why

Oct 2, 2017
Thanks for that. I have tried to relay this to me is connection as well. However there are some hitters who i am being told are still 'taking the slack out' and it is part of the kinetic chain that the hands stay back a bit. Maybe i am mistaking that for a farther back total handset.

So you are saying connection is only hands to shoulder and not anything to do with sequence or torso or legs? thanks again.

Although you may see the hands stay back as the stride moves out, Watch what happens once they launch, The hands usually get to the the shoulder roughly. I think part of the issue is with some players, is that they tend to push the knob away from the body as the first move with either the top or bottom hand. Instead the knob should get in on the shoulder/body. JMO

IMO that initial pushing the knob out. What I see in this post: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/th...g-mechanics-what-to-work-on.35342/post-570950

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Fanboi,

I try not to get to involved with trying to push things on people but I see to much potential in your DD to just sit out. Below is a video taken of my DD yesterday...... can you see any difference’s compared to the second video from a little over a year ago?

I do, thanks. I see it mostly in posture. I have shown the progression below from pre stride to post contact.

Your DD starts with more weight into back leg. A better coiled starting point. Old video has her 50/50 ish. Old handset was out and barrel up. New handset is knob to catcher and a bit farther back. that may be camera angle tho. There may also be something that the old video is an incoming pitch, her head looks forward as new is head down to tee.

Old has no coil or FYB. It's a small pick up of front foot and place down 50/50 a little bit farther ahead. No Scap load or tightening action. No stretch. Everything looks weak and slow in old swing. no offense.

I believe the core works the same in both swings for as much as it can given the lack of FYB in old swing. but she gets to the same ultimate extended swing with a little less posture leaning less back.

Tons of power and force in new swing.

Do you see any differnces?? ;)

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 10.30.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 10.31.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 10.31.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 10.31.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 10.32.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 10.43.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 10.33.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 10.33.54 AM.png

Members online

Forum statistics