1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
QQ why do you folks believe it's important to establish better posture prior to stride? I can stand tall with 0 posture before stride and heel plant and still establish posture when getting on plane with the pitch. FB mentions establishing posture prior to stride. I think the main focus when talking about posture should be maintaining it.. and it truly doesn't get established until toe touch/heel plant. Establishing posture while in the stance and prior to stride is simply getting into an athletic position... that's not how I view posture in a swing. Posture in my eyes is when the hitter tilts the shoulders to match the plane of the pitch and maintains that position through out the swing. If posture is released early the hitter will experience all kinds of problems including a push swing

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here is the before ( notice how relaxed her hands arms are ).. The what part of the foot lands first should be a non teach if working within the S-pane.. This young gal stays fairly stacked but could do better within the s-plane.

NLtqnDD.gif

That’s a strong linear move without striding.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
QQ why do you folks believe it's important to establish better posture prior to stride? I can stand tall with 0 posture before stride and heel plant and still establish posture when getting on plane with the pitch. FB mentions establishing posture prior to stride. I think the main focus when talking about posture should be maintaining it.. and it truly doesn't get established until toe touch/heel plant. Establishing posture while in the stance and prior to stride is simply getting into an athletic position... that's not how I view posture in a swing. Posture in my eyes is when the hitter tilts the shoulders to match the plane of the pitch and maintains that position through out the swing. If posture is released early the hitter will experience all kinds of problems including a push swing

I don't know that I would call it posture but more about pre-pitch actions... Owning these actions and syncing with the hands allows for the move fyb and the stretch accommodating it reactive and balanced.. Hitting needs to be reactive... As a hitter you have time for one thought and after the ball is released its over.. IOW's make the sequence reactive and balanced.

We have all herd it before "quit thinking and just hit".. So the hitter goes up there and attempts to not think and the pitcher beats them with an off-speed etc... The hitter then tries to make adjustments (stay back, start later, keep your head in there, don't drop the shoulder, etc) while moving out...

None of that should happen if the pre-pitch actions are owned and balanced.

huNEjED.gif

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Ok, well we got a bit sidetracked on throwing and the soft toss machine had issues. so unfortunately instead of my DD you get to see me messing with Tee swings. remember i came from a long history of slow pitch. i grew up batting left handed as my dad thought it was better as i would face more right handed pitchers, but later on in life after i moved from illinois to wisconsin and the arc went from 3ft - 10ft with 2 swinging strikes allowed to 6ft - 12ft with one swinging strike and i went 0 for 4 games, i started to bat right handed. Then i ended my career left handed just felt more comfy. in any case, i threatened i would post my swing at some point. here you go. have fun.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Ok, well we got a bit sidetracked on throwing and the soft toss machine had issues. so unfortunately instead of my DD you get to see me messing with Tee swings. remember i came from a long history of slow pitch. i grew up batting left handed as my dad thought it was better as i would face more right handed pitchers, but later on in life after i moved from illinois to wisconsin and the arc went from 3ft - 10ft with 2 swinging strikes allowed to 6ft - 12ft with one swinging strike and i went 0 for 4 games, i started to bat right handed. Then i ended my career left handed just felt more comfy. in any case, i threatened i would post my swing at some point. here you go. have fun.

That must have been painful. Did DD have to watch? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Both sacroiliac joints are still working.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

I think of posture as balancing out the forward move and creating space for the hands to work. When teaching someone you can do it with pre-pitch moves or just set it and forget it. I’m not a believer in shoulder ‘tilt’ to get to the ball low or any other location. To me the tilt of the back shoulder follows the hand path. I think of the legs adjusting to height of pitch and the hands adjusting to height and to the space needed for pitch location. I tell players to plane the pitch with their hands (down to) with posture. telling players to get the shoulders on plane has got me dropping back shoulders, early tilt etc. jme.

1592447255740.gif

Feb 25, 2020

Posture through the swing is a result of a good sequence. Bat/hand path is the key here. You can have good posture to start but if the bat gets behind, your body starts reacting and trying to catch it up. It uses the its big guns to try and catch it up. Standing up/hip extension.

Look at Shawn. He has a great eye for and knowledge of the swing. Yet he stands up on some of his swings where the bat is out of position. He knows way better than any 13 year old to keep "posture". It's not like he forgets to keep it. But it still happens.

Standing up or early extension Or loss of posture is not a problem in itself. It's the result of another problem. Hand/bat path is the King/queen. This is what the bonds drill/tiger feel are all about. No "SLACK" or loop in the hand path. JD Martinez's hand path is excellent for those who can't reconcile with the "down to".

I think FB's dd smashes that pitch she fouled off if she's "Down to" it.

This player is there as far as "stretch" or "sagitall plane" or "fascial use". Just tighten up her hand path shell crush it.

That's my opinion.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Posture through the swing is a result of a good sequence. Bat/hand path is the key here. You can have good posture to start but if the bat gets behind, your body starts reacting and trying to catch it up. It uses the its big guns to try and catch it up. Standing up/hip extension.

Look at Shawn. He has a great eye for and knowledge of the swing. Yet he stands up on some of his swings where the bat is out of position. He knows way better than any 13 year old to keep "posture". It's not like he forgets to keep it. But it still happens.

Standing up or early extension Or loss of posture is not a problem in itself. It's the result of another problem. Hand/bat path is the King/queen. This is what the bonds drill/tiger feel are all about. No "SLACK" or loop in the hand path. JD Martinez's hand path is excellent for those who can't reconcile with the "down to".

I think FB's dd smashes that pitch she fouled off if she's "Down to" it.

This player is there as far as "stretch" or "sagitall plane" or "fascial use". Just tighten up her hand path shell crush it.

That's my opinion.

Bonesaw, don't disagree with the down to.. I see that being initiated within the s-plane.

YqqKdKo.gif

Where here the barrel is left behind or not being thrown down to.

IUzpnGR.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here is the before ( notice how relaxed her hands arms are ).. The what part of the foot lands first should be a non teach if working within the S-pane.. This young gal stays fairly stacked but could do better within the s-plane.

NLtqnDD.gif

Fanboi22

This is not being rotational. Compare to your daughter.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Again, appreciate the comments. This was a first step to change her swing mechanically to help her mental side. She knows she wasn't doing well so to get her into a confident mindset is key.
This just came out. May be able to help her get game ready.

- Creating CONSISTENT RHYTHM in Hitting

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207