1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
  • I don't equate creating posture to dropping the back shoulder. Posture is established and the shoulders work around the spine. It just so happens that the back shoulder works down and front shoulder up. The way the shoulders work should not be forced, it's just their natural path when you have good posture.. the angle up or down they work depends on lateral tilt which depends on pitch location
  • Posture is established at heel plant/toe touch.. so if being done correctly, the back shoulder should not drop prematurely
  • You can have great FYB sequence but still poor posture.. that's why it's important to maintain it through out the swing.
  • I absolutely agree that posture creates space for the hands. I makes the path to the ball short and helps eliminate a push swing. If a hitter loses posture, the hands need to work around the body result in a swing that's around the ball instead of through.
  • I believe the alignment/tilt of the shoulders with pitch location to be a key component of the swing. Again this is a result of good posture, if the hitter is fooled they still have space to get the hands through and meet the ball.
  • Posture is mostly created at the waist.. but most of us use the shoulders as a measuring stick. This can lead to confusion sometimes
  • Posture is not always the same in every swing.. it's dictated by pitch height/location. That's why it can't be created prior to toe touch/heel plant. The most important thing is that when you establish it, you maintain it through out the swing

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
Thanks. I understand the concept. I am just of the mind that there isn't as much rubber band action happening as people think. When we stretch our bodies it doesn't snap back to position 1. It's not like a Stretch Armstrong toy. i get that there certainly is that fascia happening, but i am not sure it is a the ultimate force that creates the power of the swing. Will it help make people elite, sure, maybe. But if i can get my DD into a position that is athletic and comfortable and allows her to put the barrel on the ball consistently. That is what i am after.

I guess i relate it to the Auburn hop. maybe it's not auburn. Or a tennis player serve receive. There seems to be some benefit to activating the 'muscles' for a lack of a better term, before making a movement decision as it takes the slack out of the system.

I think that there is probably more to be said about getting muscles tensed up and fired like an isolation movement right before launch. I just don't think there is as much benefit to 'stretching the fascia' just because i don't feel anything snapping back from that position. I am more of the mind to be fired up and ready to launch. If i am taking out slack, i would try to twist my whole body as far in the opposite direction as possible.

I dont see any of these players getting to the end of their range of motion before launch. just IMHO.

View attachment 18217

I get it man, it can be a hard concept to wrap your head around but this stuff is about to blow up. The young lady who connected the dots is starting to somewhat speak openly about this stuff. Which makes sense because a regular coach wasn’t going to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Fanboi22

This is not being rotational. Compare to your daughter.
Can you be more specific? What part, just the stride to launch position? I understand my DD has a clockwise rotation of her torso that we will try to temper during the stride.

The hitter you show is seemingly swaying back (yes linearly) then lunging or pushing off the rear leg into her front, but has great front side resistance and stops her front hip to let the rear hip come around.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Bonesaw, don't disagree with the down to.. I see that being initiated within the s-plane.

YqqKdKo.gif

Where here the barrel is left behind or not being thrown down to.

IUzpnGR.gif
Thanks TDS, i dont disagree with you. Just looking to see what the specific action/position is that isn't allowing a barrel turn. The bellinger clip is too fast to compare. and backwards... ;)

May 12, 2016
I think these drills would help both of you.. it's all about staying connected(Hands and Shoulder). I believe TDS mentioned earlier that the barrel gets left behind.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I think of posture as balancing out the forward move and creating space for the hands to work. When teaching someone you can do it with pre-pitch moves or just set it and forget it. I’m not a believer in shoulder ‘tilt’ to get to the ball low or any other location. To me the tilt of the back shoulder follows the hand path. I think of the legs adjusting to height of pitch and the hands adjusting to height and to the space needed for pitch location. I tell players to plane the pitch with their hands (down to) with posture. telling players to get the shoulders on plane has got me dropping back shoulders, early tilt etc. jme.

View attachment 18228
I agree with your comment on shoulder tilt, however my DD drops her hands below the shoulder and the shoulders dont' follow the hands. so i have to work with her on the feel of keeping the hands aligned. That was when i has having her lock her hands to the shoulder so that any attempt to move hands down to the ball was followed by the shoulder tilt.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
This just came out. May be able to help her get game ready.

- Creating CONSISTENT RHYTHM in Hitting

Thanks, i agree with rythm. I dont think my DD has ever worked a timing mechanism. i want her to get comfortable in her pre swing routine and mechanics to not have to think about anything but the pitcher and the pitch. we are behind on this and working to get consistency. Literally started this week. too late in happening.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I think these drills would help both of you.. it's all about staying connected(Hands and Shoulder). I believe TDS mentioned earlier that the barrel gets left behind.

Thanks, i have watched some of his stuff and liked it. need to go back thru his catalog.

Bold above, can you define this for me in you words? tds mentioned and i think i may have asked it to him as well in a different way.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
  • I don't equate creating posture to dropping the back shoulder. Posture is established and the shoulders work around the spine. It just so happens that the back shoulder works down and front shoulder up. The way the shoulders work should not be forced, it's just their natural path when you have good posture.. the angle up or down they work depends on lateral tilt which depends on pitch location
  • Posture is established at heel plant/toe touch.. so if being done correctly, the back shoulder should not drop prematurely
  • You can have great FYB sequence but still poor posture.. that's why it's important to maintain it through out the swing.
  • I absolutely agree that posture creates space for the hands. I makes the path to the ball short and helps eliminate a push swing. If a hitter loses posture, the hands need to work around the body result in a swing that's around the ball instead of through.
  • I believe the alignment/tilt of the shoulders with pitch location to be a key component of the swing. Again this is a result of good posture, if the hitter is fooled they still have space to get the hands through and meet the ball.
  • Posture is mostly created at the waist.. but most of us use the shoulders as a measuring stick. This can lead to confusion sometimes
  • Posture is not always the same in every swing.. it's dictated by pitch height/location. That's why it can't be created prior to toe touch/heel plant. The most important thing is that when you establish it, you maintain it through out the swing
I dont disagree with you on most of this, just questioning your second and last point if someone can provide the Miggy 6x gif for this? It shows his posture at 6 pitch locations. There isn't much different with any of the 'pre-launch' IMO. But agree it is different mainly after launch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii