1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Lol I understand....... maybe think of it as under your skin you are encased in a wetsuit........ By moving parts of the body it will pull on other parts. This creates tension, if there are anchors in place. When the body is at rest there is slack in the suite but when we stride, walk, run etc..... this creates tension within the body.... this wetsuit is stretched and fights to get back to its state of rest. We can leverage that tension and use it to our advantage if done correctly ie. “the sequence”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I understand the concept. I am just of the mind that there isn't as much rubber band action happening as people think. When we stretch our bodies it doesn't snap back to position 1. It's not like a Stretch Armstrong toy. i get that there certainly is that fascia happening, but i am not sure it is a the ultimate force that creates the power of the swing. Will it help make people elite, sure, maybe. But if i can get my DD into a position that is athletic and comfortable and allows her to put the barrel on the ball consistently. That is what i am after.

I guess i relate it to the Auburn hop. maybe it's not auburn. Or a tennis player serve receive. There seems to be some benefit to activating the 'muscles' for a lack of a better term, before making a movement decision as it takes the slack out of the system.

I think that there is probably more to be said about getting muscles tensed up and fired like an isolation movement right before launch. I just don't think there is as much benefit to 'stretching the fascia' just because i don't feel anything snapping back from that position. I am more of the mind to be fired up and ready to launch. If i am taking out slack, i would try to twist my whole body as far in the opposite direction as possible.

I dont see any of these players getting to the end of their range of motion before launch. just IMHO.

1592426650513.png

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I guess this will be something we need to work on. I see this scap retraction as a result of a tip and rip barrel action. I see him actively moving his hands back while slightly tipping the barrel so that at the end of his stride he is nice and stretched.

When you say it is a reaction. What is it a reaction to? A reaction to me is involuntary, that something other than itself is forcing it to move.

a reaction to the forward move. Keep the hands in one spot and step/stride forward. The scap gets sucked back into the torso. The hands stay passive until they anticipate direction. Mimick this Bonds drill while keeping the hands in the same space. You should feel the scap get pulled towards your torso and a stretch across your mid-section. Your hands should want to work naturally back, up or both. Just like Barry.

1592426970471.gif

Reactions: TDS
Feb 25, 2020
FB you have a lot of information coming at you and I don't envy you :). I know because I've been there before and even though everybody is trying to help and I am sure you appreciate it.. it can be a little frustrating. Personally I like her tee swing, I think she do damage with it even though it's not technically perfect. I would have your DD trying to emulate that swing as close as possible in her game swing.. and add little improvements.. hammer them home one at a time.

Maybe somebody much smarter than me can tell you the most important thing you should start with :)

I agree that it is pretty good.

I think if she just changes this to a little more "Down TO" right at the start I think it's really good.

No fasciotomies or sagittal planes to worry about IMO.

IUzpnGR.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
The obliques (core) need to be stretched against legs/hips.. So its S--t---r---e--t--c--h/contract... The legs/hips are holding there ground against the stretch not actively turning rotating.

0trijCT.gif
Thanks, do you have a gif before this moment? Did she lower her belt line into this position or is this right at heel plant, or was there a toe touch then heel plant?

I think that alyssa dicarlo has this position as well. She seems to stride out then sort of leave her upper half over rear leg and get the hips moving forward linearly before launch.

My DD seems to land on the inner part of her stride foot and doesn't get all of the bottom of the foot down until after launch.

Maybe that will help if i have her land more on her whole foot or at least the toe then heel, not side roll. see below which is her progression.

Toe touch.
1592428198155.png

first start of rear elbow slotting which i consider 'launch' or 'go'.
1592428245032.png

1592428131337.png

first time all of front foot is on ground.
1592428318928.png

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
a reaction to the forward move. Keep the hands in one spot and step/stride forward. The scap gets sucked back into the torso. The hands stay passive until they anticipate direction. Mimick this Bonds drill while keeping the hands in the same space. You should feel the scap get pulled towards your torso and a stretch across your mid-section. Your hands should want to work naturally back, up or both. Just like Barry.

View attachment 18219
Ok thanks. after discussing for a while and then relooking at this in that context, i can see if the hands are held in space and move the rest, the load happens. That's a more loose feel to me. keep hands up and move the body to the position. I think i get that.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I agree that it is pretty good.

I think if she just changes this to a little more "Down TO" right at the start I think it's really good.

No fasciotomies or sagittal planes to worry about IMO.

IUzpnGR.gif
Thanks, as i just posted, i see maybe more of an issue if i relate again to pitching in that the stride foot needs to plant and create front side resistance right now. as i posted her progression, i see that she is leaking that explosive resistance and probably losing posture and leverage.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
ok so quick check.

0.9 (i got out of order) - More body posture and tilt over plate before stride - s-plane movements.
1. no torso twist on stride/load. scap load should be reactionary to the body 'walking away from the hands.'
2. resist rear leg IR better.
3. My own thoughts - get more resistance from front foot down.
4. launch from middle (this will help ER the rear leg and create better sequence to distal parts)
5. Keep wrist/barrel orientation during launch, do not let elbow slot without action on the barrel. - she is creating bat drag.

Well, wish me luck. My DD currently has high blood sugar and is a raging b*$#H, so i am waiting for the insulin to take affect and will see if we can't rip a few of these numbers off our list.

Thank you all for all the help. I have gotten more out of these last couple days than i have for years beforehand. i really appreciate it.

we will be doing front toss to get more realistic as well. not sure on pitching yet, my TCB hole balls didn't come in yet.

peeeece.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
ok so quick check.

0.9 (i got out of order) - More body posture and tilt over plate before stride - s-plane movements.
1. no torso twist on stride/load. scap load should be reactionary to the body 'walking away from the hands.'
2. resist rear leg IR better.
3. My own thoughts - get more resistance from front foot down.
4. launch from middle (this will help ER the rear leg and create better sequence to distal parts)
5. Keep wrist/barrel orientation during launch, do not let elbow slot without action on the barrel. - she is creating bat drag.

Well, wish me luck. My DD currently has high blood sugar and is a raging b*$#H, so i am waiting for the insulin to take affect and will see if we can't rip a few of these numbers off our list.

Thank you all for all the help. I have gotten more out of these last couple days than i have for years beforehand. i really appreciate it.

we will be doing front toss to get more realistic as well. not sure on pitching yet, my TCB hole balls didn't come in yet.

peeeece.

sounds about right. Try to get the pre- launch stuff right. Work/fix upstream to down stream. everything is a result of some previous movement/action.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Thanks, do you have a gif before this moment? Did she lower her belt line into this position or is this right at heel plant, or was there a toe touch then heel plant?

I think that alyssa dicarlo has this position as well. She seems to stride out then sort of leave her upper half over rear leg and get the hips moving forward linearly before launch.

My DD seems to land on the inner part of her stride foot and doesn't get all of the bottom of the foot down until after launch.

Maybe that will help if i have her land more on her whole foot or at least the toe then heel, not side roll. see below which is her progression.

Toe touch.
View attachment 18221

first start of rear elbow slotting which i consider 'launch' or 'go'.
View attachment 18222

View attachment 18220

first time all of front foot is on ground.
View attachment 18223

Here is the before ( notice how relaxed her hands arms are ).. The what part of the foot lands first should be a non teach if working within the S-pane.. This young gal stays fairly stacked but could do better within the s-plane.

NLtqnDD.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00