1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Agreed, and i think i see it at 1:33 in the JD video that was referenced. He gets scap loaded and stretched and isnt twisting his torso back. pinch the scap vs twist the torso with a better over the plate tilted posture. We will work on that.

for me it’s a result. The forward move loads the scap or how I think about it now, stretches the front hip to the back shoulder across the middle and loads the obliques. you can think about it as body parts loading or you can think about like taking slack out of the entire system. They both work. Depends on how you view it. I used to think of individual body parts. Now I think of it more as a whole. Hopefully I’m not confusing you more.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Thanks DRD. And i hope no one takes anything i say as critical. I am appreciating this whole dialogue and really getting alot out of it. So hopefully i can relay to DD.

Your first sentence though to me is ambiguous, bolded ' too much slack in the system'. ok :unsure:

But when you describe your DD, you get into body positions which i really like and helps me visualize.

you mention your DD's hands/arms are too low. I see that in the elbow never gets level with the shoulders. i think i see this in more of the neck slot swings. maybe not. She looks not to ever really pinch the scap. where your DD doesn't twist her torso in the move out, mine does, causing other issues. Your DD looks to have a great sequence and kinetic chain, just that the distal portion hasnt taken enough of the slack out. i think i get it.

i am confused that you say you had her move her hands out the s-plane or farther forward away and over the plate. Did this create a longer space between the set up hands and where the hands had to be at launch? I would have said i understood better if you said she move her hands back in the frontal plane towards the catcher. 'walk away from the hands'. or i would have understood higher elbow and more scap pinch. I guess i don't understand what you suggested to your DD or how it helped. sorry.

I think if my DD keeps the same elbow movement but does it against a non twisting torso, that she will create more stretch and have a better launch.

She did that on her own. I didn’t suggest anything. I would prefer her to raise her arms and hands instead, which we are working on.

When you get time, watch this video it may help you understand what I am referring to when I say slack removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Fanboi22, I like the direction you were going here.. She is fyb but then drives the legs/hips vs swinging down to using the core.. So work on getting into this fyb position with the legs/hips being used for leverage against the core being stretched.

CaRKyPG.png

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
There is nothing similar in Emerson’s game tee swing and game swing starting with the left heel coming off the ground. In the tee swing she appears comfortable and in control and in the game swing she appears frozen fearing the unknown (probably normal for a 1st year player starting off in a class tournament).

Tee work. Make it more game like. An at bat starts before she enters the box and she needs to develop ‘her’ routine, not the coach’s. Put down a home plate. Make a line for the inside line of the batter’s box. A piece of cardboard and some rope will work.

Move the tee to different locations and height. Each time the ball goes on the tee, give her ownership of her dance as to how she looks to the 3rd base coach for a sign; enters the box to ensure plate coverage; pre-pitch relaxation; look out to the pitcher to assimilate the ball coming to the tee. Do believe the Stone video in post 273 just may be very entertaining.

Practice swing: Work on timing. Where is the pitcher in the motion when the heel starts up so the left foot can be moving forward at release. She would probably like a lot of these dad.

Game swing. It’s okay to breathe Emerson. It is a game. ;)

Mechanics are not going to produce desired results if the mind is not right.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
The forward move loads the scap

Nothing actively 'loads' the scap, really. When you stride forward, you coil inward. At the instant of uncoil (which happens a couple inches before the front foot lands) the scap gets compressed and contributes to forcing the back elbow down.

If you actively load the scap during the uncoil, you limit the snap action.

If you watch slomo videos from the catcher view, you see this easily. Try this yourself. See what you think.

Here is Posey coiling in until inches before toe touch. At this point, he bgins to uncoil and gets his hips back to even.
posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Nothing actively 'loads' the scap, really. When you stride forward, you coil inward. At the instant of uncoil (which happens a couple inches before the front foot lands) the scap gets compressed and contributes to forcing the back elbow down.

If you actively load the scap during the uncoil, you limit the snap action.

If you watch slomo videos from the catcher view, you see this easily. Try this yourself. See what you think.

Here is Posey coiling in until inches before toe touch. At this point, he bgins to uncoil and gets his hips back to even.
posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

I don’t think I’ve said the scap is actively loaded. The forward move loads the anterior oblique sling which is the front hip to the back shoulder. That’s how the scap gets stretched and loaded. Where your gif stops is when the scap is actually starting to retract.

the inward coil is done with the glutes being stretched and externally rotated. Like a squat. That swivels the pelvis and body inward without ‘actively’ coiling.

the thought of uncoiling is not a good one imo. It kills adjustability, direction not to mention space. That’s more of a rotational unload thing. Not what I think a high level swing does. I feel like the swing never unloads until running to first base. It just tightens.

any thought to coil or uncoil isn’t something I teach or think about.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Frontal plane action, if defined by side to side movement is the stride forward. Back to Mud's defining the swing from linear to rotational. The stride out before toe touch in my definition is a frontal plane movement?no?

FYB - so FYB is a dynamic leveraged singular position freeze frame in time before 'go', if i understood correctly the Miggy gif's first frozen frame is this FYB state. thanks.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Frontal plane action, if defined by side to side movement is the stride forward. Back to Mud's defining the swing from linear to rotational. The stride out before toe touch in my definition is a frontal plane movement?no?

FYB - so FYB is a dynamic leveraged singular position freeze frame in time before 'go', if i understood correctly the Miggy gif's first frozen frame is this FYB state. thanks.

My understanding is Sagittal is "head to toe" Frontal is "Catcher to pitcher".

Wti7Pd0.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207