1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Butter, i can only assume that as long as you swing from the middle, it will pull your hips and legs thru and also the arms carrying the barrel? this is much simplified, but is that the main point here? I still struggle a bit with Bregmans cue, but may try it with DD.
Try spreading the feet really wide and turn middle from there. The position has your legs in abduction. Much easier to get the rear hip into ER and as the pelvis gets turned by middle the front hip will go into IR and act as a brake. This is not a game swing per se but may help her develop her middle

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I actually liked her Tee swings a lot better. Her game swing has no downward front shoulder angle. This is causing a very loopy swing. She is under the ball a ton. She must get that front shoulder down toward second base on the move out or she will be launching up hill every time.
W=w told me something that solved all the loading issues for me and my students. Let the gather pickup the front foot.

To me it was a feeling of pushing my rear foot into the ground that caused my front foot to lift. Not actively lifting my front foot. Once this feeling is achieved then the ability to ride the back leg is solved. It is actually fairly simple.

Once she is able to ride her back leg out properly then she can get shorter as she gets to toe touch\heel plant and she can maintain the downward front should angle.

Watch here at 0:33

Getting the downward front shoulder angle sets you up for the swing down to hit up feeling. If you don't get the front shoulder down then the feeling is usually a swing up feeling that results in a slow loopy swing where the barrel is way under the ball. Which is exactly what I am seeing.

Bold above: i will try this for sure. My only cue now is to let the rear leg be the carrier of the body to the launch position. I have tried to work on balancing on the rear leg into coil and have her ride into toe touch. I think i am saying it differently than you, because her normal movement was to raise the front knee to stride. I don't like it and think it is wasted movement and like you said you didnt want an active movement which the knee lift is.

Thanks again for the comments.

Sep 17, 2009
BigSkyHi's videos are a good reference for getting your DD into attack position. She could do a better job at that. There are several posts above with good insights into that.

IMO, though, what she needs to really work on is how she launches from that attack position. Currently, she has zero tilt or shoulder working under the ball. She should look like this at contact (note how the shoulders reverse orientation from the earlier attack position):

1592400759272.png\

Instead, your DD stays upright, her arms power the swing and her front leg pushes back further raising her COM (rather than lowering it into contact). Also, problematically: no tilt, no rear shoulder working under, barrel never gets turned up into contact...all of which you see in Romero above. Instead your DD looks like this at (close to) contact:

1592401069955.png

Just a few thoughts and maybe a different way to look at things. Hopefully helpful. Good luck, she looks strong and athletic and you guys are obviously working hard.

[Added: please note...to get to Romero's position she has to swing/launch aggressively DOWN with her lower body actions then turning that into UP into and through contact]

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
BigSkyHi's videos are a good reference for getting your DD into attack position. She could do a better job at that. There are several posts above with good insights into that.

IMO, though, what she needs to really work on is how she launches from that attack position. Currently, she has zero tilt or shoulder working under the ball. She should look like this at contact (note how the shoulders reverse orientation from the earlier attack position):

View attachment 18208\

Instead, your DD stays upright, her arms power the swing and her front leg pushes back further raising her COM (rather than lowering it into contact). Also, problematically: no tilt, no rear shoulder working under, barrel never gets turned up into contact...all of which you see in Romero above. Instead your DD looks like this at (close to) contact:

View attachment 18210

Just a few thoughts and maybe a different way to look at things. Hopefully helpful. Good luck, she looks strong and athletic and you guys are obviously working hard.
Agreed!! If you look at the tee swing, i think we were getting there. she has much more tilt and the ball is at the relatively same level. POsture right here is key. Upper body is in a better position allowing for a deeper barrel path.

not sure on the rear leg. the game swing shows an all upper body swing or better said arm swing. I do think she is still openning the hips too much but that may be a function of stride length and just not understanding the resistance needed in the rear leg. as posted above, we are working.

1592401813616.png

Sep 17, 2009
Yes, I see the tee swing difference. Start taking her tee swing into front-toss then into machine pitch (I like it cause you get consistent speed) and start to groove it, and then hopefully onto the field. Cool.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks, i appreciate the continued posts.

So based on the picture of the planes (sagittal front to back, Horizontal (is this also transvers?) twisty, and frontal side to side) , your comment that he moves in the sagittal plane is speaking to the fact it is the beginning of the set up phase. He is getting from a starting point to a better athletic position, over the plate. he hasn't even moved out yet. I assume you are talking about getting in this 'good athletic postion' as someone else mentioned like basketball or volleyball. So when the video stops of Barry, i get that position of the torso and waist and legs. Can this just be a set starting position instead of moving into it? Edit: (like BigSkyHi's 3rd video above posture, right??)

If that is right, i think i am ok with that set up. What happens after then?

As i have heard on this site many many times, coil into the back leg, screw your leg into the ground, feel it in the inner heel.

Now what Butter says above, you can help activate this with the some hyperarch fascia action which i assume still goes along with the coil i just mentioned.

Can i assume that then the next moves are all in the frontal plane to toe touch? Then transverse plane for the swing in so much as the top half is on a different tilted axis? I am also telling DD that her belt line needs to stay flat. In her game swing you can see her push up with rear leg and belt line goes up and then down to toe touch.

are you also promoting any of the hands movement here in the Bonds gif? if not i wont focus on it. my DD is not tip and rip

View attachment 18207

see post #310.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

View attachment 18208\

View attachment 18210

[Added: please note...to get to Romero's position she has to swing/launch aggressively DOWN with her lower body actions then turning that into UP into and through contact]

the entire postural thing is the error in the beginning of the sequence when the arms/hands get behind the body(no space) hence the postural changes thereafter. That’s how I see it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Try spreading the feet really wide and turn middle from there. The position has your legs in abduction. Much easier to get the rear hip into ER and as the pelvis gets turned by middle the front hip will go into IR and act as a brake. This is not a game swing per se but may help her develop her middle

funny. That’s how Bonds instructed Yelich to do the chop drill on the plate. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not?

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Fanboi,

Don’t over think this...... what I believe everyone is basically stating is that she has to much slack in the system. She has to develop a movement pattern that creates some tension throughout the body pre-swing.....

I will use my DD as an example..... she likes to keep a very vertical barrel in her set up..... The problem with that is that her arms and hands or to low IMO so it leaves slack in place......resulting in drag much like your DD..... My DW sent a quick video of an at bat to me from last weekend while she was somewhat struggling..... The problem was quickly noticed and relayed to her...... she then started barreling the ball up much better...... My DD prefers a vertical barrel so, the way she combated this was to get the hands further away from her body (in the S plane). This helped create a little tension throughout her back resulting in better connection to the middle. I am trying to get her to raise the hands and arms with a more laid back barrel but she is pushing back on it some because it feels wired lol........ but she will get there and so will your DD, you guys just need to keep working and trying different things.

Do you see what I am referring to about my DD?

Photo%20Jun%2017%2C%2010%2002%2023%20AM.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32