1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yes when learning something new it will be mechanical. Her current swing is too rotational.
Back to square one then. What does rotational mean? Hips rotate the wrong way? Shoulders turn wrong? Mudders B talks about linear to rotational. Ie the move out is linear and the swing is rotational. The torso has to rotate, so to be too rotational is it at the beginning, middle or end of swing. Upper half or lower or both?? thanks.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I actually like her movements here...... she does have some serious drag though but IMO it looks like the sequence is there...... it just needs to be enhanced.

Photo%20Jun%2016%2C%207%2024%2044%20PM.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Back to square one then. What does rotational mean? Hips rotate the wrong way? Shoulders turn wrong? Mudders B talks about linear to rotational. Ie the move out is linear and the swing is rotational. The torso has to rotate, so to be too rotational is it at the beginning, middle or end of swing. Upper half or lower or both?? thanks.

Usually it’s when there is rotation happening without a direct link to the barrel. It’s when you turn the body parts without a connection to the whole.

Rotation is all I heard from when I first started, before Mankin and Epstein. It’s always been about rotation. I’ll post a clip of being too rotational.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here's another from same at bat.

my .02 again. She pushes the hands back and ‘loads’ the scap instead of walking away from the hands and letting the scap retract and ‘get’ loaded She stretches it back when it’s about stretching it forward. It’s a longer swing. Counter rotation should be the result of moving forward not moving back. Does that make sense? Pvc J Stone progression and that BB drill should help with the feel. Her game swing posture isn’t bad. I would still work on it. Just good fundamentals. Look when/why he counter rotates. I chose Cutch bc he has the same stance as your DD.

1592356643849.gif

ps. Don’t concern yourself with rotational to linear Blah blah blah. It’s a result. Keep working on the rear leg and get the sequence right.

Jun 8, 2016
Here's another from same at bat.

The getting stuck that @Work=wins mentioned is more evident in the live ABs
my .02 again. She pushes the hands back and ‘loads’ the scap instead of walking away from the hands and letting the scap retract and ‘get’ loaded She stretches it back when it’s about stretching it forward. It’s a longer swing. Counter rotation should be the result of moving forward not moving back. Does that make sense? Pvc J Stone progression and that BB drill should help with the feel. Her game swing posture isn’t bad. I would still work on it. Just good fundamentals. Look when/why he counter rotates. I chose Cutch bc he has the same stance as your DD.

View attachment 18203
I agree with all of this..she is trying to do too much in her gather...I need to take a shower now :LOL:

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

View attachment 18203

ps. Don’t concern yourself with rotational to linear Blah blah blah. It’s a result. Keep working on the rear leg and get the sequence right.
Nice Work=wins. Starting with page 1 of this thread are a lot of swings showing the scap load working during the stride.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

View attachment 18203

Excellent, thank you. Yes it makes sense. I see the hands pushing in this video for sure. I will revisit the J Stone progression. I think i will have time with her tomorrow.

as a note her game posture was before i started messing with it after the game. FFS and RDBass say - 'overcoach'. :) oops.

Jun 8, 2016
bold above, i am trying to have her limit her gather on the lower half. unless you are talking about upper as well.
Sure she could gather less so she isn't getting so much over the back foot but more importantly, like @Work=wins said, she doing too much with her upper during the gather.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom