1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
What are obliques good for?
The oblique muscles are tasked with a variety of functions. They help you bend your torso to the side, help rotate your torso to the left and right, and perhaps most important, actually act to resist your torso from rotating, which helps to stabilize and protect your spine.

I believe they are a very important part of the swing, I also believe you swing from the ground up.

Yea, and as we can see they can be used incorrectly.

2IgoO4U.gif

KgnnOWo.gif

Aug 20, 2017
Well, we only just got started again on hitting. Probably a little too late, but better late than never. Want to make sure winter practices focus on the correct things, so here is an updated swing. Let'r rip.....thanks in advance for suggestions/critique/advice.

In this swing she has way too much torso rotation internally. When this occurs the compensating move is to begin shoulder rotation early, out of sequence. The result is the back knee and the front shoulder moving together, less tightening of the rope in the swing.

In a proper upper body scap load, the rear elbow should move up some and pinch against the upper thoracic. From the pitchers view, the rear elbow should barely peak out from behind the body line.

Calm the torso/shoulder rotation move. The scap load should occur during the stride. You can preset some scap load to give her a shorter distance to achieve it. This is the upper body anchor that resists the firing of the lower body that creates stretch. If maintained her torso will rotate from under the ball and allowing the barrel to turn from behind creating a bigger hitting window.

Aug 20, 2017
What are obliques good for?
The oblique muscles are tasked with a variety of functions. They help you bend your torso to the side, help rotate your torso to the left and right, and perhaps most important, actually act to resist your torso from rotating, which helps to stabilize and protect your spine.

I believe they are a very important part of the swing, I also believe you swing from the ground up.
Anchor with the rear leg, back knee, belly button, front foot advance during stride, anchor with the scap load = obliques engaged = stretch = no slack = torso rotates from under the ball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1