1st year 14u - Swing mechanics what to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Thank you all for the replies. I agree. Swing 1 is when I caught her doing her own thing, back to what she used to do. The main item in swing 1 that got me was her rear elbow action (along with other things but this was the biggest offender). It went straight to slot with no action from the barrel. She wasn't in sync. I think i am learning how to identify swing flaws which has helped.

The cue we used then to get to swing 2, and it was literally 2 swings after swing 1 (shoulda called it swing 3) was to lock the barrel wrist orientation. I dont agree with initial supination of the wrist, and believe it is more locked, but i did throw in a little cue of TTB torque wrist action so that she could stay locked, or better said stay synced. There is something to be said that she was getting so far behind if she didn't force the issue.

I think that she gets decent extension thru to the ball and i don't want to eliminate that contact position, so i don't want to focus on the single hip slip move, i still think we can get a good swing with a good starter coil into a leveraged position at toe touch and swing deep.

The cues i will be working on is keep a coil on the forward move, toe touch supports rearward lean that helps deep barrel path, syncing the year elbow with the wrists and the barrel should turn, and depending on the leverage and coil should allow for a good quick deep barrel path.

Will send updates as they come. She will be in the cages tomorrow night for first practice back with team, hopefully she doesn't forget the feel.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
f2cb01ebe52b39e597a4da3aa9394e7e19b3af38.gifv

b80fe5a442cbbe162c4a9be2a94237f632da5a6a.gifv

I'm guessing you 'mentioned' something about getting some extension in the 2nd swing. That are basically the same swing. Needs to 'free up them hands'. Also its a top down swing/one piece swing causing spinning.
They are the same swing relative to the extension? Or you just see them as the same swing overall?

When you say ' Needs to 'free up them hands'', what exactly do you mean? Free them up from what?

Aug 20, 2017
Thank you all for the replies. I agree. Swing 1 is when I caught her doing her own thing, back to what she used to do. The main item in swing 1 that got me was her rear elbow action (along with other things but this was the biggest offender). It went straight to slot with no action from the barrel. She wasn't in sync. I think i am learning how to identify swing flaws which has helped.

The cue we used then to get to swing 2, and it was literally 2 swings after swing 1 (shoulda called it swing 3) was to lock the barrel wrist orientation. I dont agree with initial supination of the wrist, and believe it is more locked, but i did throw in a little cue of TTB torque wrist action so that she could stay locked, or better said stay synced. There is something to be said that she was getting so far behind if she didn't force the issue.

I think that she gets decent extension thru to the ball and i don't want to eliminate that contact position, so i don't want to focus on the single hip slip move, i still think we can get a good swing with a good starter coil into a leveraged position at toe touch and swing deep.

The cues i will be working on is keep a coil on the forward move, toe touch supports rearward lean that helps deep barrel path, syncing the year elbow with the wrists and the barrel should turn, and depending on the leverage and coil should allow for a good quick deep barrel path.

Will send updates as they come. She will be in the cages tomorrow night for first practice back with team, hopefully she doesn't forget the feel.
Good stuff fan! Keep working! I would like to see her a little more athletic at toe touch. I feel like the stride should get you into your most balanced athletic position. As others have mentioned, and I have as well, she is a little out of sequence. IMO this is do to the back knee not gaining any ground prior to launching the swing. The stride should pull the back knee forward some. That would eliminate some of the spinning that’s been mentioned. She has some overload with the back knee getting over the back foot. In her stance position her back knee in front of her back foot and work on loading without the back knee moving back at all. Get her weight on the inside of rear foot. Keep it up Fan!

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yes.

From being bound up.
Your DD drops her hands down to the ball. Then she is all bound up to hit the ball with her bat,
All this swing. Can you see her body lift up to make the adjustment after her hands dropped.
b80fe5a442cbbe162c4a9be2a94237f632da5a6a.gifv
Thank you for the reply. I would agree most of the swing looks the same, but the hand action is different along with the rear elbow.

I see what you are saying by the hands dropping. I also see the lift, thank you. I didn't relate it to any adjustment but can definitely see that happening.

For the hands, i think she still needs to power the torso engine first. Her hands continue to look like they first move.

Another question, since you seem willing to help, which i thank you for.

The spinning? I know it is more than one thing, but what one major thing can help that? I thought maybe a wider stride? But i may just be thinking of this incorrectly.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Have your DD learn to do this off a high tee:
tumblr_n10rvum4wS1s0sqc0o1_250.gifv

Learn to hit opposite. This will free up the hands.
Ok thanks. But if she doesn't get any up outside out of the zone eephus pitches, then what does she do? Sorry to be a smart rear.

Just curious how then to translate that to the normal pitching zone. Thanks again for taking the time. I know you had already gone thru this journey, so i appreciate your sharing of experience.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
The spinning? I know it is more than one thing, but what one major thing can help that? I thought maybe a wider stride? But i may just be thinking of this incorrectly.
Appears her stride foot starts open; closed at load and open at toe touch. Sort of circular, which may account for the spinning mentioned. Hard to tell from the camera angle tho.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
But if she doesn't get any up outside out of the zone eephus pitches, then what does she do? Sorry to be a smart rear.
You read more and figure it out.......because you seem to have it all figured out....Good luck.
I am a smart rear.................

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
You read more and figure it out.......because you seem to have it all figured out....Good luck.
I am a smart rear.................
My apologies, i shoulda put a 'haha' at the end of it, as i truly wasn't trying to be a smart rear, just trying to be funny. I don't have anything figured out which is why i am sharing my struggles. As i commented, you had gone thru the learning curve years ago, and i am looking for info to help my DD. I just don't understand what the process requires.

I am pretty sure there are some specific movements that are required, i just don't understand the ambiguous posts that are non-specific. So when you say do that on the high tee, i am looking for specific body movements to make sure i can review and call out if she doesn't get it.

On my DD's swing i posted earlier, it is why i stated the swing was not the same, because there was a specific movement that was there on one and not on the other. So just trying to understand what you are posting and how to gauge whether my DD is doing it correctly.

And for your last comment, if you are just out her trying to be a smart rear, then i will stop attempting to understand your posts. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06