16 yo struggling with SO and pop ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I really appreciate all the input guys! I'm not sure I know what to do though, lol.

I would definitely ditch the tee. and look into a "Tanner Tee", then work on the middle whipping the barrel doing stop swings while trying to keep the hands back (no release of the barrel). Right now she pushes with her arms and IMO the rear leg.

Q7tkbtJ.gif

eClYPF0.gif

Jun 8, 2016
I would definitely ditch the tee. and look into a "Tanner Tee", then work on the middle whipping the barrel doing stop swings while trying to keep the hands back (no release of the barrel). Right now she pushes with her arms and IMO the rear leg.

Q7tkbtJ.gif

eClYPF0.gif
I don’t necessarily disagree with the concept but unless you know what the middle whipping feels like it might be hard to replicate.

If Freeman let go of the bat there how would the path differ from what would happen with the young ladies current swing?

Where is SB? 😆

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
@cufan99

Again, the sequence is wrong. Which causes all the issues that are being mentioned. It’s an upper body dominant swing which causes a launching of the bat before she gets to her front foot. That’s where the downward barrel path, poor leg action, postural issues and pushing the barrel are rooted at. I do a drill that promotes a sequential loading sequence to get things in order. The player starts w the hands at the midline and take them back against a solid back leg. This should get the middle/lower going before the upper is done loading. As of now the back leg is pushing to create a load. Notice the player below has the upper going against a stable lower which promotes torque of the middle. This should move you forward. The only cue I use w this drill is to keep the head centered. Meaning don’t let it get over the back knee. It can get back a little but we need some resistance assistance to torque the middle on time and in balance. After you master this, most things should clean up.

View attachment 25992

What you would like to see is the hands and belly button connected during the negative move. Once launched the bb should lead slightly.

Is she purposely striding and then swinging? It looks like the front leg is in control? Is it just a drill?

Just curious.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Q7tkbtJ.gif

eClYPF0.gif

Yes buy a Tanner tee! It was created so you do not feel the tee. It’s as close to the ball floating there as you can get besides the Utee. Not to say kids can’t knock it down, I have never knocked it down.

That Tee is creating issues for sure.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
My 16 year old has the exact same issue. She drops her hands and it’s like impossible to fix and there is no quick fix from what I’ve researched. The high tee is good probably for muscle memory but my daughter only does it during live pitch so no drills really help her. I did recently purchase a rope coach from Amazon and that hasn’t completely solved her issue but has definitely helped her hit the ball more. Look it up it’s super simple but brilliant If you ask me. In fact her coach started borrowing ours during warm ups on all the girls. It’s cheap too. Good luck and I feel your frustrations my daughter is also very powerful and had a great bat then she suddenly out or nowhere developed this issue. I think it’s due to all the coaches over the years changing her stance and giving different advice that she started overthinking her swing.
It should be okay to drop the hands if they go to launch position. Then the dropping of the hands just becomes part of her timing during the load.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I don’t necessarily disagree with the concept but unless you know what the middle whipping feels like it might be hard to replicate.

If Freeman let go of the bat there how would the path differ from what would happen with the young ladies current swing?

Where is SB? 😆

That appears to be an inside pitch that he was all in and called it off.. I disagree that he would have pushed his hands forward like the young ladie does vs release the barrel.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yea, she definitely pushes down with the arms.. I am looking at the when the rear leg, hands /arms appear to happen simultaneously.

XTtG5QL.gif

The hands and bat move forward at the same time she tries to use the lowerbody.

She has no corner, creates no corner or keeps anything that resembles a corner.

Jun 8, 2016
That appears to be an inside pitch that he was all in and called it off.. I disagree that he would have pushed his hands forward like the young ladie does vs release the barrel.
You missed my point…

How would the path of a thrown bat (before release, eg Freeman just let’s go from there) differ for Freeman vs the young lady (with her current swing) in this circumstance…?

Hence my SB reference 😉

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

Love the hard work she is putting in.

In post 2, notice Albert's head dropping after the swing starts. The swing begins before contact and the dominant eye is traveling to the anticipated contact location. May be something she can work on off the tee.

Measuring success at the 2:30 mark

Kids love this challenge

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA