14U B Travel Tryout Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2015
We have tryouts lined up over the next few weeks for DD ’02 14U. She’s been with the same local program for the last 5 years, playing rec the first 4 years, then C travel 2014-2015. I read the earlier thread regarding “tryout notice translator” that of course has me guarded regarding tryouts. But is there anything glaring we should be on the lookout for with prospective coaches? Any advice for us besides staying out of the way and keeping our mouths shut, and telling DD to do her best, hustle her behind, and “yes sir, no sir?” Also worth mentioning, DD is a pitcher, probably #3. Should she even tryout as a pitcher? Thanks for your help.

Jun 11, 2013
Don't worry about the tryout translator and certainly don't show it to DD.

For her try and get her to be as calm as possible. Remember that the tryout starts when you arrive. A little chatter while playing catch is fine, but make
sure she pays attention when on line so when it's her time she knows what to do. Always hustle. If you miss a ball run hard after it. Make sure you show up in
softball clothes and not jeans or shorts. Tell her to backup plays when she is in line. It gets noticed by coaches who always seems to get the balls. I generally
see tryouts where outside of a couple of studs the rest are about the same. I want the ones who look like they want to be there and have a desire to get better. The ones
who complain about the heat, wind,etc and jog from station to station are not who I want to coach.

Ideally you could watch a real practice or a tournament with the team because that's really how they'll act. Notice if they seem to be engaged in helping kids out. Even though it's a tryout many good coaches will help a kid if it's a quick fix. If other parents are there ask open ended questions about how the team is. For you do not coach your kid at the tryout. Sit on the side and let them go after it.

As far as pitching if she is any good they'll want to at least look at her. I know that if a kid showed up to try out for our team and could pitch even a little bit it would help us, but I would present it as she can pitch not that she is a pitcher.

Finally if at all possible get out and practice prior to tryouts. Hit some balls, field some grounders and fly balls, work on throwing.

Nov 3, 2012
Definitely have her do the pitching try outs. You never know how the pitching thing stacks up. She might be better than think compared to the other girls. Also this might be the little edge you have to make the team. Pitching is a priority.

You're right about the good attitude and make sure she hustles. Coaches will sometimes give some suggestions/critiques during try outs. They're looking to see if the girl will attempt to make the adjustment/correction. If the girl try's to do it, they will think she is coachable. They love that. Also, they love to see girls dive and get dirty.

Make sure you have plenty of questions for the coaches about schedule, cost, how much they plan to practice.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Let her be what she is and do not force it. She does not need to say yes sir no sir unless she does it anyways.

If she wants to pitch, the same thing, IMO she should show what she has it can only help her.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Be picky, check their record on tournament sites to get a sense of the team's quality, find out how many returning players there are, find out why players left, have her play as a guest before paying any money. All but the highest level teams are typically desperate for players so take your time and choose wisely, then commit 100% for the season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06