13 yr old pitching coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2009
My 13 yr old DD has been asked to become the pitching coach for a 10U rec team in our town. It makes very proud to see her giving back to the sport she loves so dearly. She's actually making a difference as well. Her team lost their first game badly because of walks then after two practices with my DD they won their next game 14-4 with very few walks.

An unexpected bonus from this coaching opportunity is that she has become a better pitcher by focusing on the basics of pitching in trying to explain to the girls how to do it.

My point of this post is for you parents to get your DD's to become involved in giving back to the sport that has given them so much.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I can not express how much I love posts like this. I've talked about my involvement several times on this board, but I'm going to go through it again (for those who don't read nearly every post as I do!). I'm 17 years old, a junior in HS, on Varsity, playing 16U rec (in a rec-lead area), helping with 10U rec, and helping with 13U rec. I'm an outfielder. I can not tell you how much the girls have benefited from having me around. It is amazing for them and it is great to see the turn around. Things are being taught to them correctly--they will know how to do it right when they get to the next level. It's also helped me improve. I get extra practice, extra time not sitting at home. Our 16U pitcher has worked with the younger ones as well, that is always beneficial. Our 16U catcher taught the 13U catchers some excellent blocking stuff, eliminating some passed balls for us. It's been a great experience to see older girls working with younger ones.

This weekend, our rec teams had their pre-season tournaments. 10U played Sat., 13U played Sunday. While no older girls were helping with 10U, there was two teams with an older girl helping with the younger ones besides the team I help with. That right there is exactly what is going to make our teams better.

Oct 22, 2009
Great job! When my DD entered high school I told her it was time to start giving back. She was 14.
We coached a local 10u team together I would have said we had the best pitchers, but we coached all the league pitchers for free and unfortunately the one we got on our team wasn't one of the better ones: )

It really solidified her desire to coach. She is coaching her second high school team this year, and loving every minute of it.

Mar 13, 2010
My point of this post is for you parents to get your DD's to become involved in giving back to the sport that has given them so much.

Pretty much this, I've been coaching on and off since I was 14 years old, and it always hurts me to see people who have gained SO MUCH from the sport do nothing to give back to it. I was assistant coach this year of a team and loved every minute of it. I would love to coach more, but sadly with work committments find this very difficult, but I will be doing a pitching/catching clinic next year so I can help the juniors in my club get to the level I know they can.

My DD (15 yo Freshman) has worked with a few younger local girls over the last year or so, and really enjoys doing it. I just wish she had more time for it, but hopefully she will get more chances this summer, after HS season is over.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My 13 yo has been assisting a friend's 10 yo rec team. She's helped the girls learn to bunt and slap. She's also helped correct some throwing mechanics. She's the youngest in our extended family, so it's good for her to be the "big kid" once in a while. The younger girls really listen to her as she's closer to their age than their coach.

May 11, 2009
The younger girls will take to another young girl really well. A lot of times a much quicker then an adult. They also seem to have more fun doing it. I think it is great that your DD is willing to give back to the sport she loves. It will all pay back in the long run for her!!

Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13