12U Team Bat LXT vs. Mako

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I've read some good posts here about both bats,but have not seen the LXT much in my own travels. I have seen some littler girls getting huge hits with the Mako. These are girls I know, who were not that long before. But I have read some very good things about the LXT too. The lighter swing feel seems appealing in a team bat that might be used by more mid-level hitters. The higher level hitters generally have their own bats, and know what they want. So, which is it? Oh, the LXT's are down in price now too.

LXT = 6

Mako = 1/2 dozen

A -10 LXT 32" long will weigh about 21.6 - 21.8 oz.

A -10 Mako 32" long will weigh around 22.8 - 23.0 oz.

Both are hotter than a firecracker and have smooth rides.

Louisville Slugger will replace the LXT as often as necessary for one year. Easton will replace the Mako only once.

Can't go wrong either way, IMHO. Our team has both and I have seen impressive things from each.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
Both are very good bats. 10u DD has swung both with very good success. She likes the Mako a little more because she says it feels more balanced and smoother swinging. I personally don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

Oct 10, 2011
I think it would boil down to which one you think is more durable for a team bat. I don't know that answer though:) I agree that both seem very hot and DD says she has found her perfect bat in the Mako . I'm just hoping it holds up over time.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
DD has had both for about a month now. We had one "shoot out" at the city park by our house. Hit 24 balls each. 11 balls went farther with the lxt then the longest mako ball. Her lxt is a 33/24 and the mako is a 33/23, she says they feel identical swinging. To me hitting with them the lxt feels stiff like a one piece bat, the mako feels soft and trampolinie (word?). Dd uses her lxt in games. Her first hr with it was Saturday.

I was at the Bama game last weekend and an assistant was hitting fungos with a mako. She looked like she was barely touching them and the ball was rocketing. I tried it the next afternoon with not as good of results making me think they do break in some.

Just guessing, but I think more girls would benefit from the softer 2 piece feel and effect of the mako. The stiff lxt I think is great for girls that hit hard, but the mako probably a bette all around pick. Oh, and the sweet spot is huge on the mako.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Great to hear from guys who have done actual head to head studies on these. Thanks! For some reason, I assumed the LXT was more flexible. In either case, the fact that the LXT has come down $100.00 last week makes it more tempting. Still, the Mako hits I have seen are very impressive coming off the bat. Tough call.

The LXT has a stiff handle. The barrel is quite flexible.

The stiff handle makes it great for power hitters. The flexible barrel makes it great for contact hitters. If you watch top college programs, you'll see both slappers and HR leaders using it.

Our top power hitter uses the Mako (4 HRs). She'd also be our top power hitter using almost anything else. Our second-best power hitter (3 HRs) uses the LXT and out third best (3 HRs) uses a CF6 31/21 (she is one of only two girls on the team who use a 31" bat). Almost all of our contact hitters have gone to the LXT although two are still going strong with their CF6 -11s.

I think more will eventually use the Mako but at 12U it tends to be just a tad heavy for most of the girls. I think if more were using a 31" bat it would be just right, but 10 of 12 have completely transitioned to 32" bats and a 32" Mako is pretty substantial for girls their size and age.

Oct 10, 2011
DD has had both for about a month now. We had one "shoot out" at the city park by our house. Hit 24 balls each. 11 balls went farther with the lxt then the longest mako ball. Her lxt is a 33/24 and the mako is a 33/23, she says they feel identical swinging. To me hitting with them the lxt feels stiff like a one piece bat, the mako feels soft and trampolinie (word?). Dd uses her lxt in games. Her first hr with it was Saturday.

I was at the Bama game last weekend and an assistant was hitting fungos with a mako. She looked like she was barely touching them and the ball was rocketing. I tried it the next afternoon with not as good of results making me think they do break in some.

Just guessing, but I think more girls would benefit from the softer 2 piece feel and effect of the mako. The stiff lxt I think is great for girls that hit hard, but the mako probably a bette all around pick. Oh, and the sweet spot is huge on the mako.
One of the major softball bat sites says that despite the advertising, the Mako needs a 100 or so hits to break it in. Fortunately, that about 400 less than the FX series LOL.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Like most have said, both are great bats...comes down to feel preference. The LXT is more balanced and comes in very slightly under sticker and the Easton is up to an ounce over like LAS stated and prob feels heavier due to that fact.

Also, you can find better deal on the LXT than the Mako...so if keeping 60-100 bucks in your wallet matters, then there's a factor also.

longball00

Softball is my obsession
Apr 8, 2014
Willoughby, Ohio
Just picked up a 32" mako and a 32" LXT last night. We put them on the scale before we left, and the 32" Mako weighed in at 22.5 ounces, and the 32" LXT was at 21.9 ounces. DD was happy with the Mako weight because her 31" weighs in at 22.3 so she is getting an extra 1" and about the same weight. We will see what her team mate thinks about the LXT weight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves