"youth" vs "adult" bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2023
Hi everyone, 9yo DD going 10u this fall currently using a 28/16 Easton Firefly. Looking at going to a 29 and -11 (and I know it generally isn't recommended to add length and weight at the same time) but I'm trying to figure out what the differences are going to be between sticking with a "youth bat" Firefly/Spryte/Nexus vs something mid tier like the CF/LXT/Prism/DMND
Thanks

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Its all in what she can swing and handle. Dont worry about what "name" you call a bat. If she cant swing a 29/18, then
its not for her yet. Performance and price tag changes when you get to the top bats. Btw, those bats you mentioned
are not "mid tier", they are top tier bats for those manufacturers. But, to answer your question, are the top tier bats
better than the lower tier bats, of course. But again, if your dd cant handle the size yet, then its not going to be worth it.
And if your dd is just learning to hit, then thats more important that a million dollar bat.
Your firefly already prob weighs 17 ounces or more btw.

Now, next advice, I would look at used bats if you're thinking about jumping to a 29/18 in the top line bats...only because it will save you
huge money and kids usually outgrow the little bats REALLY fast. And at that age, not like she is gonna break bats. Usually these
bats are not beaten up like the bigger used bats are.

Oct 4, 2018
Yup, at that age we were borrowing/buying used bats from older girls in the neighborhood.

It can be tough knowing what length/weight to use, and the best answer IMHO is to try them all out. Lots of reps with lots of bats. Not always possible, but if there's a will...

Jun 1, 2023
Its all in what she can swing and handle. Dont worry about what "name" you call a bat. If she cant swing a 29/18, then
its not for her yet. Performance and price tag changes when you get to the top bats. Btw, those bats you mentioned
are not "mid tier", they are top tier bats for those manufacturers. But, to answer your question, are the top tier bats
better than the lower tier bats, of course. But again, if your dd cant handle the size yet, then its not going to be worth it.
And if your dd is just learning to hit, then thats more important that a million dollar bat.
Your firefly already prob weighs 17 ounces or more btw.

Now, next advice, I would look at used bats if you're thinking about jumping to a 29/18 in the top line bats...only because it will save you
huge money and kids usually outgrow the little bats REALLY fast. And at that age, not like she is gonna break bats. Usually these
bats are not beaten up like the bigger used bats are.
Thanks. I just weighed the firefly and it's at 16.79oz, so not quite 17 but still a fairly high percentage overweight. Didn't see much on sideline swap or eBay, but a 2023 29/18 cf just popped up on FB for $200. From what I've been able to find around here it seems like they come in pretty close to the listed weight, so I am thinking that may be a better option than just moving up to a 29/17 firefly which may end up weighing about the same anyway.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Just watch where you buy from...for a brand new 2023 CF that seems like it may be from a scam site.
That bat is under mapp policy and no store would advertise for under and risk losing their agreement.

You can even post on here that you are looking for a used 29/18

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Whew...you had me worried for a sec...hahaha. 200 bucks is good, and when she grows out of it, its not such a hit
on the bank account.

Jun 1, 2023
Just watch where you buy from...for a brand new 2023 CF that seems like it may be from a scam site.
That bat is under mapp policy and no store would advertise for under and risk losing their agreement.

You can even post on here that you are looking for a used 29/18
Sorry here’s the correct link.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802