12U pitchers throwing 58-60 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
For those people on here that dislike people posting pitching speeds on social media, what is the issue you have with it. I would say for every PC that I see post speeds on social media, a board in there facility or anywhere else. Those speeds are obtained in a practice session not in a game, and they never lead anyone to believe they are obtained any other way.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
For those people on here that dislike people posting pitching speeds on social media, what is the issue you have with it. I would say for every PC that I see post speeds on social media, a board in there facility or anywhere else. Those speeds are obtained in a practice session not in a game, and they never lead anyone to believe they are obtained any other way.
I don't dislike when people post speeds on social media or on boards. That's up to the individual or coach. My daughter's pitching coach has zero professional social media presence. Her reputation speaks for itself, and if she feels the need to speak to a coach on your behalf, consider yourself lucky.

I think what we don't like is having a coach post obviously inflated numbers to recruit business. I think that also gives the girls false hope. But, it's still a free country, allegedly, so if they want to post it, go ahead.

May 13, 2021
I don't dislike when people post speeds on social media or on boards. That's up to the individual or coach. My daughter's pitching coach has zero professional social media presence. Her reputation speaks for itself, and if she feels the need to speak to a coach on your behalf, consider yourself lucky.

I think what we don't like is having a coach post obviously inflated numbers to recruit business. I think that also gives the girls false hope. But, it's still a free country, allegedly, so if they want to post it, go ahead.
So the issue in your case is that you just don’t believe the numbers they post are true.

May 13, 2021
For the most part, yes. People tend to exaggerate, in all aspects of life.
Ok well if they are just blatantly posting lies about how fast someone threw a softball. That is an entirely different conversation. I just take it for granted that every time I hear some say she throws xx mph it is not game speed they are referencing. Kinda like if you hear someone say a kid runs a xx 40 time. You know it was not in a game situation.

Oct 31, 2021

I don’t think it is “inflated.” It is apples and oranges. A one rep max in ideal conditions vs cruising speed in game situations are not the same. If they claim them as game then it is “inflated” but that isn’t what is being said. Sort of like a basketball players game vert vs ideal condition 1 rep max vert aren’t the same. It doesn’t discount the value of measurement of max vert.

Rita’s board is effective for comparison among her students and their max potential in ideal conditions. I believe it is an effective motivation tool. In my opinion we will never be able to measure the most important element that separates good from great pitchers. The biggest thing that will never be measurable is heart or being clutch. You can have the best velo or RPM / movement but what you do with the game on the line is what matters most.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
One of my best friends has a daughter who just started in the travel ball world. She's currently a first year 12U player with a local organization that plays mostly rec ball at the younger ages until they reach 14U/16U when they go regional travel. They're a good organization with a great owner, but they're limited in the talent they attract.

Somehow, my buddy got roped into helping at their winter workouts, and he's been catching for the pitchers the last few sessions. He asked me about getting a catcher's mitt because "These girls throw hard. They have three girls throwing over 60." I actually laughed out loud at his comment because I know the organization and its players well, and they don't have any current player throwing 55, let alone 60. I asked him how he knew they were throwing north of 60 MPH, and he said "That's what they all said, and their Dads confirmed it."

The issue is these girls may have thrown a ball at 60 MPH from a moving car while going downhill with the wind at their back, but they can't sniff that in a game. They're all over SM telling people they throw 60 MPH, which clearly is untrue. That's what I don't like.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021
One of my best friends has a daughter who just started in the travel ball world. She's currently a first year 12U player with a local organization that plays mostly rec ball at the younger ages until they reach 14U/16U when they go regional travel. They're a good organization with a great owner, but they're limited in the talent they attract.

Somehow, my buddy got roped into helping at their winter workouts, and he's been catching for the pitchers the last few sessions. He asked me about getting a catcher's mitt because "These girls throw hard. They have three girls throwing over 60." I actually laughed out loud at his comment because I know the organization and its players well, and they don't have any current player throwing 55, let alone 60. I asked him how he knew they were throwing north of 60 MPH, and he said "That's what they all said, and their Dads confirmed it."

The issue is these gis may have thrown a ball at 60 MPH from a moving car while going downhill with the wind at their back, but they can't sniff that in a game. They're all over SM telling people they throw 60 MPH, which clearly is untrue. That's what I don't like.

Dads exaggerate. Per the video grandpa can be worse. But that is a different point. The social media posts are coming from youth trying to get attention. Having a board with comparable measurements is better than the random post measured who knows how. Is it a replacement for watching them in game? No, but 1 rep max is still of some value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sep 3, 2015
I think that's fairly common. Let's be honest. It's good for business if you can say you have girls throwing 65+ all the time. And, I'm sure she is not alone in this tactic.

70 MPH is astonishingly hard. If you have access to a Jugs Super Softball machine, I recommend putting it about 37 feet from home plate and dialing it up to top speed. Then get behind the plate with a catcher's mitt on and take a bunch to the mitt. The ball looks like it's shot out of a cannon.

Again, it's not questioning her ability as a trainer. I just believe it's exceedingly rare for girls to throw that hard in games. I think your assessment of 4-5 MPH below is probably accurate.

Agreed. Also good for business for dad’s to say the same. Whatever someone tells you, subtract at least 2-3mph. I still think it’s pretty rare for any pitcher to bring it 65+.

There was a kid last year on Mathis and another on Bombers Lewis that could really bring it (18U), I bet close to or > 65.

In a game, my DD may have hit 62 a handful of times, total. So it’s possible I’m just bitter. She can really spin it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi