12U Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
We have already determined that TB is going to be our only option. Our first question will be...Does the team have a catcher?:confused:

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD played LL last season as a 12 y/o. She was not 53 mph but 50-51. We had a catcher who was a team mate from middle school ball who caught for her. The catcher was a gamer and I give her a lot of credit for hanging in there last season.

The regular catcher missed a game as her sister was graduating from college and she neede to attend the ceremony, so we borrowed a catcher from another team, who was not quite used to 50-51 mph. The girl has on all of her gear and goes out to warm up DD. DD uncorks one, catcher catches it clean in the glove and rolls backward on her butt as she was not expecting that velocity of pitch. We all had to keep a straight face and I went over to dust the girl off, made sure she was ok (of course she was) and make sure she knew what to expaect going forward. The girl did a great job the remainder of the game......very funny as her parents were in attendance and saw the whole adventure.

Oct 22, 2009
When my DD was 12 she threw around 52mph. Her TB coach told all the pitchers to play also on their local rec teams to get more time in since there were 6 pitchers on the team.

I signed mine up for 14u, figuring the catchers would be more capable to handle her than the 12u's.
Had an umpire actually tell me he was going to refuse to call the game unless we put someone behind the plate that would actually stop the ball.

Mar 23, 2010
Mine really throws that fast too. Been clocked at home and at 2 different pitching camps. We are on a new team for rec ball and the dropped third strikes are killing her. She had 11 pitched outs in a 3 inning game and still lost. We do not have a catcher that can catch her effectively. Do not want this to discourage her and the hard work she has put into her pitching. Her PC says to keep throwing and her catchers will catch up. Not everyone appreciated it for what it is. Some people look at it as the Pitcher's problem and she was actually told last night by an adult with the team that her job was to put the ball where the catcher could catch it. The catcher had 7 dropped third strikes in a 3 inning game. What more as a pitcher is she to do?

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Is it too late to ask for her to be moved to a level more in tune with her skills? It seems like if she had 11 Ks in a 3 inning game that she is over powering the batters as well as the catchers. I'm surprised that other coaches haven't already suggested it. It does no good for your DD or other teams to have this kind of missmatch. Rec ball is for learning, improving, and having fun not 'World Dominance' (thats for TB)... ;->

Jan 25, 2011
speed isn't every thing guys. My 12 yr.old loves those 50 so called + fastballs. The harder they come in the further they go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi