12U Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Never saw this problem coming. Spring rec ball...DD pitches very well. She has a fast ball in in the 53ish range, an awesome drop ball, and a flip change. She is a hitter and a great fielder. Has her head in the game and knows what is going on. The one thing we are missing is a catcher. No one on the team can catch her. There were 7 dropped/missed third strikes in the last game. What do you do to keep her from feeling like she is the problem? She is doing her job beautifully but not getting to enjoy the benefits of her hard work.

Nov 15, 2009
If your rec ball league is anything like ours, you are in for a season of pain. My DD has played club ball the past 2 years but also wanted to play in the town rec league. As a 6 th grader she was only allowed to play in the high school league. In addition to playing with girls she had nothing in common with, the talent level was very low. No one would catch her other than a junior who couldnt catch and had quite a mean streak. What makes it worse was the fact that she was using the time to work on movement pitches that the rec umps had no idea how to call. Every drop, change, and screw ball was either watched for a ball or a dropped third strike. Last year was the same. She insisted she play again to be with her best friend. At the end of the year I was dragging her to the games. This year she has decided she will watch and cheer her best friend on.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
My DD pitches in her local rec league also. She has the exact same problem. I honestly can say I have been laughing it off. We now see how many strike outs we can get in one inning. 5 is our best so far. I also work with the catchers as often as I can. Its not their fault either. Set a goal for the end of the season. See how much improvement can be made. Most of all, have fun.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
That is certainly a problem for several of my top students. So, she is not alone. It was a problem for my DD, too. I have tried getting the catchers to come to the pitching lessons, with little success.

There is a thread here somewhere that I wrote about this. The catchers aren't even wearing mitts, so I know for a fact that they can't handle anything over 40 mph.

I would attempt to educate the catchers, if you can. Dave Weaver's DVD is a great place to start.

If you can, announce that you are having a free lesson for everyone interested in learning to catch. At least then, you will have tried.

Feb 3, 2011
That is certainly a problem for several of my top students. So, she is not alone. It was a problem for my DD, too. I have tried getting the catchers to come to the pitching lessons, with little success.

There is a thread here somewhere that I wrote about this. The catchers aren't even wearing mitts, so I know for a fact that they can't handle anything over 40 mph.

I would attempt to educate the catchers, if you can. Dave Weaver's DVD is a great place to start.

If you can, announce that you are having a free lesson for everyone interested in learning to catch. At least then, you will have tried.

I do not know yet who our catchers will be, but I got really lucky and landed a catcher as an assistant coach, so she will be getting a lot of one-on-one time with the girls who want or are best suited for the position.

As far as our league is concerned, we're starting with group pitching lessons, but are not yet prepared to offer a catcher's clinic. Most parents who don't know softball, yet have their 6-12 year olds playing, have no idea how vital the catcher position is to a team's defense. Most think pitcher, shortstop, and center fielder are the most critical defensive positions on the field. I agree with #1.

SG, if she's committed to playing rec ball, all she can do is encourage one of the better athletes to become her catcher. With a little bit of luck - and a lot of work - they'll build a special relationship that really benefits both girls and the team.

Jul 26, 2010
Does she enjoy playing rec ball? If not, she shouldn't be forced to do it. If she enjoys it, then she'll have fun anyway.

53mph is going to scare a lot of 12 year old catchers. Average speed of a 12 year old travel pitcher is 43mph. I have a few very good TB catchers on my team, and I have one pitcher (my #3) who pitches 52mph and it took me weeks to get my catchers used to her speed. . . and these are kids that do drills regularly with their hands behind their backs as softballs are thrown at their facemasks.

My suggestion? Have your daughter play catcher in rec ball instead of pitching. She'll gain a better understanding and appreciation of the position, and because the catcher-pitcher relationship is so important later on, your daughter will be a better pitcher from the experience.

-W

Jul 1, 2010
I like Starsnuffer's suggestion. My DD, although a young pitcher, started TB life as a catcher and still catches some. She knows the pain that the catcher feels when she D3Ks; doesn't like it, but understands. The old "walk a mile in the other fellow's moccasin" is good medicine especially when they are young enough to absorb it.

Oct 22, 2009
Catchers are rare here, good catchers just don't exist.
And I agree 53mph for a 12yr old is going to be probably too much for rec catchers to handle.
My average 12u's rec are around mid 40's.

You may want to consider moving her to a travel team.
If you stay in rec and find a catcher to who can handle her then take her with you when you move to travel ball.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi