12U Game Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Oregon
Hi,

Here are a couple of videos from fall ball. DD only got to pitch 4 innings last season as a first year 12U (four older pitchers ahead of her), now finally getting some innings in. So far so good with 23 K, 2 BB, 2 Hits in 10 2/3 innings against mostly rec players just starting TB. She'll see some more experienced players in the next few weeks and will get challenged a bit more.

We got some good feedback here back in January (http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/8459-11yo-pitching.html) and her new PC had her abandon the flip change. You'll see her leave a change up in the zone on an 0-2 count that got pounded. Good teaching moment! She's been working on a rise this summer, I think she throws one in the first video.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially as she's just starting pitching in games again. Thanks!

Sep 9, 2012 Pitching - YouTube

Sep 16, 2012 #2 Pitching - YouTube

Jan 27, 2010
ddose, your DD is showing alot of confidence and looks comfortable in the circle. I recall you were losing her PC back in January and were having trouble with the TB coach insisting on her pitching his way. I assume you were able to work that out. Tell her to continue to strive to get better and better, because the batters she will face in the future will be getting better also. If you want feedback, I would suggest posting videos of her pitching at different camera angles.

Jun 22, 2008
You need to fix the stepping on with the hands together. She has to take position with the hands separated and simulate taking a signal with them separated.

Jan 25, 2011
Oregon
Thanks Tojo, I'll try to get some different angles this weekend. We were able to find a PC to keep her headed the same direction.

The TB coaches pretty much left her alone after that as far as pitching, and she ended up bringing her catcher gear to the pitcher/catcher practices. We had 5 pitchers and 1 catcher so she didn't get much out them anyway. Besides missing circle time, being that far down in the rotation makes it very tough to get enough practice in, with tournaments eating away every weekend with no pitching at all. That was a tough year.

Mar 13, 2010
I would like to know why a girl who barely pitches in games (so is clearly still learning the basics) is being taught a rise ball, something that is very difficult, not recommended for young girls and is difficult to master. I really question the pitching coaches decision on that. She should be perfecting her change and possibly starting a drop ball.

From what we can see she has a lot of confidence which is always the best thing! Her arm circle looks a bit suspect but its difficult to tell from the angle. She's definitely on the right track!

Jan 25, 2011
Oregon
Hi Lozza, I'll defend her PC a little bit. DD has been working on pitching year round with a PC for 2.5 years, so isn't still learning the basics (at least I hope not). Her playing time issue last season was from being behind kids 18 months older and 6-8" taller who also pitch all year. Those kids are now in 14U and she will get as much circle time as she can handle this year. She also is working on a drop ball as well. The drop and rise are only something she throws when ahead in the count at this point.

I think her PC likes the rise because it forces her to be aware of how her body is working, she can be a bit off and still throw good changes and fastballs. She also isn't too concerned with perfecting the rise spin at her age, she said to worry more about that in a couple of years.

I think learning the movement pitches was good for her morale this year, since game time wasn't going to happen. She had more fun practicing this year than other years just because there was more to work on.

Thanks

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I would like to know why a girl who barely pitches in games (so is clearly still learning the basics) is being taught a rise ball, something that is very difficult, not recommended for young girls and is difficult to master. I really question the pitching coaches decision on that. She should be perfecting her change and possibly starting a drop ball.

From what we can see she has a lot of confidence which is always the best thing! Her arm circle looks a bit suspect but its difficult to tell from the angle. She's definitely on the right track!

Because its easy to teach. If your going to command the circle, every pitch has be to a different spot. You have to throw sequences. rise and drop, screw and curve. Change up should drop & curve.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
At 12u a good fastball and change up maybe all you need. 14u I have found that DD has to pitch high in the zone or low in the zone. Pitch down the middle is a mistake. DD starts pitches low and works up in the zone until she gets the strike call. High pitches(rise) are called after the coach sees the hitters swing. He is looking for the hitter who drops her hands as their first move. I would work on location. Learn to hit your spots. DD isn't the fastest pitcher but she is able to hit her location pretty good so far. Change ups when possible should be high out of the zone or very low in the zone. A change up down the middle well, you already know the result of that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish