12U and talking about High School? Really?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
My AC is intent on just drilling our kids and our parents about where they are going to high school and where they are going to be playing next year in TB. Keep in mind, this coach has been on a different team and different organization the past 3 years so he doesn't believe in continuity...nor he can't sustain it.

At any rate, as the HC and founder of my particular team in our organization, I am doing my best to keep the continuity, and chemistry...so now I have a few kids who think they are better than the team because the AC told them they could play varsity as Freshmen...or possibly to skip 14u and jump directly to 16u. I of course haven't decided what I am going to do with my team, but man...leave it the heck alone.

As always, I have to ask the question, do I have my head in the sand or as an HC would you have an issue with this going on as well...and how would you respond?

Apr 13, 2013
It does seem wrong to me.

It is OK to have goals but they need to give 100% to their current Team. If their goal is to move up a level and start as a freshmen great work your butt off, if it isn’t great too.

Personally I think DD is going to have to decide what she wants to do after this season, is SB a hobby or does she want to make a run at the HS Team. Neither answer is wrong

Edit:

DD is going to be 12 next year so she needs to decide so I agree with your AC a little bit.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Well having gone through most of the age groups (now 2nd year 16A), I can say the biggest difference between 14 and 16 is the hitters. Pitching isn't that much different except better spins. But on defense you had better be ready... because some of those balls are coming hard, and the overall speed of the game is much faster. The AC needs to realize that at 16, those girls really WANT to be there playing and they are still playing for a reason.

As far as the AC, I would just have a conversation with him over a beer or something and discuss these things.

May 17, 2012
At 12u they should be more concerned with recruiting visits to local colleges and letters of intent.

High school plans are so 10u.

Apr 19, 2013
My 12U DDs talk to their future HS coach constantly. She comes to watch them play TB. She keeps in constant contact about what they are working on. She is very excited about having them on her team in a couple of years.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
My 12U DDs talk to their future HS coach constantly. She comes to watch them play TB. She keeps in constant contact about what they are working on. She is very excited about having them on her team in a couple of years.

I remember when I was 14 my dad gave me the keys to drive his car out in the country, I drove it a couple of times along dirt roads and through parking lots...the second I decided to drive in the city I wrecked into a Camaro because I didn't know what a blind spot was. Discussion of the future is important, expecting and forcing it to happen now is a mistake...

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
DD is a second year 12U. She's already met the high school coach and his assistants. They know she's coming; I don't know what they'll do with her when they get her--that's their decision. :) The idea of HS ball was a little iffier when DD was playing on a Kansas team; the KS high schools have a spring season and the MO high schools have a fall season, but we were talking to her TB coach about it as a future conflict even back in first year 12U.

IMO 12U isn't too soon for the girls to be thinking about HS ball and realizing that the work they're putting in now is preparing them for that.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
True freshman playing varsity is usually a statement about the current status of the varsity softball team.....a freshman starting for a varsity team that contents for a state title is a STUD, a freshman that starts on a team that goes 0-32 is just on a crappy team.....

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
True freshman playing varsity is usually a statement about the current status of the varsity softball team.....a freshman starting for a varsity team that contents for a state title is a STUD, a freshman that starts on a team that goes 0-32 is just on a crappy team.....
Phhfffttt....

My 12yo daughter was the starting pitcher for her high school team as a 6th grader. She is likely the first 6th grader to obtain a win in varsity softball in our state association. She pitched against players who signed at D1 schools and had only been taking pitching lessons for 7 months.

Of course, that one win was the only win of the entire season and she had to pitch 19 of a 21 game season for the largest private school in this state..... a school that regularly wins championships in every other sport it competes in

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32