11YO DD Pitching clip - comments / suggestions appreciated!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Looked quite the same to my eyes... what are the real differences, what was really missing from your student's arm action?

I disagree.

her posture is much better at the end of this pitch, compared to earlier video.

spend time on Javas advice to get "out" vs "up" and she'll improve even more.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I call it the fake arm whip.

"a loose arm is a fast arm"
(paraphrasing KenB)

she looks like a kid that used to pitch straight-armed that worked to get a bend. her understanding of IR looks good, but shes performing the motions with a fixed bend in her elbow that shes learned to maintain conciously, vs just having the feeling of a loose, bent elbow. So, IR yes, whip no; because her arm is rigid, holding that fixed bend angle in her elbow. My take on things, anyway.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Second video looks much better, maybe some whip going on there as well. As she gets more comfortable with it her arm should start to loosen up a bit. JavaSource preaches overlap as one of the checkpoints for a pitcher in drive mechanics. Something she'll need to work on as well. I created this video some time back to show levels of effort when warming up. Notice how loose my student's arm is throwing underhand compared to when she pitches. Your daughter can benefit from this as well. Learn to relax that arm throwing overhand and underhand then try to convert that looseness into the pitching motion.

Apr 20, 2015
Your daughter doesn't have my student's problem, she has a pendulum problem. Her upper arm needs to stabilize against her rib cage while her forearm whips past that point.

Thank you! This is clear to me now. I do feel DD has a bit of similar fake whip as well, more of a forced rotation at the release moment. As corlay / KenB put, "a loose arm is a fast arm", love it!

Apr 20, 2015
Second video looks much better, maybe some whip going on there as well. As she gets more comfortable with it her arm should start to loosen up a bit.

Thank you for the feedback, drive forward and loose arm are the two areas we'll be working on in short term.

JavaSource preaches overlap as one of the checkpoints for a pitcher in drive mechanics. Something she'll need to work on as well.

Saw a few references of overlap in the sticky, but didn't understand. Seems originated from another post / exchange between JS and BM, i'll search for it. thanks!

I created this video some time back to show levels of effort when warming up. Notice how loose my student's arm is throwing underhand compared to when she pitches. Your daughter can benefit from this as well. Learn to relax that arm throwing overhand and underhand then try to convert that looseness into the pitching motion.

Really liked the video, reminded me of Bill Hilhouse's video on how similar baseball pitching and softball pitching are! We'll adopt this drill, thanks for sharing!

Jul 14, 2008
Saw a few references of overlap in the sticky, but didn't understand. Seems originated from another post / exchange between JS and BM, i'll search for it......

This is probably the first post on "sequence overlap" on the forum. I was speaking to 97bucketdad about his DD's lack of overlap do to the drop and go nature of her motion.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/7921-97bucketdad-dd-video.html#post85913

Once I explained the proper marriage between arm swing and leg drive in that thread, people starting understanding how leg drive wasn't JUST about the legs, but how proper timing of the sequence was critical and affected the arm circle as well......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves