The road to the circle!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
FWIW, I'll be in Indy Feb 1-2 for a clinic and some lessons. I know that's not the long term thing you're looking for but if you came, you'd be welcome to bring your PC as my personal guest so they can perhaps see where the HE stuff is coming into play with the instruction. If she was as good as you say, then she was probably already doing it and not doing HE stuff when she pitched... now she just has to learn to teach it.

Bill
Bill do you have a link for your indy clinicnin February?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
Definitely get to the pitching clinic with Bill if at all possible.

Only thing I don't like about that drill is the starting bent at 90 degrees with arm at 9 o'clock even though it's just a drill and you are trying to focus on one thing it's not a natural position you will ever be in your arm is never that bent unless maybe at 12 o'clock.

The thing mentioned by Ken is also a VERY important point a lot of these drill have you start standing sideways which is fine but you should never finish at release standing sideways with your back heel on the ground (it's hard to tell from angle but doesn't look like she release her back hip) because you simply can not be in the right posture that way, even if all you do is let your back heel come of the ground and turn so that you are toe up that's a start but ideally you just let it follow through naturally as you come to release.

Oct 4, 2018
She's young and dedicated which is really all you need (along with proper instruction).

Please be patient and go slowly, understanding there will be ups and downs on the journey. Don't push too hard or make it no fun. Those of us who are a few years ahead of you can tell stories of mistakes and pushing too hard and getting frustrated. You have forever to work on this. :)

Dec 22, 2019
@Hillhouse THANK YOU! She sees him tomorrow so I’ll extend an invite and see if we can plan a road-trip together! I found a bit more info by searching the RAM FB page. Appreciate it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
@Hillhouse THANK YOU! She sees him tomorrow so I’ll extend an invite and see if we can plan a road-trip together! I found a bit more info by searching the RAM FB page. Appreciate it!!!

I hope to meet you guys. FWIW... I don't think the numbers on that link are accurate. I'm told 15 people signed up within the first hour or 2 of it being posted in the host organization. So, I don't know how many slots are left. I also plan on doing private lessons on the Saturday (clinic on Sunday).

Bill

Dec 22, 2019
An update that my 9u DD got to pitch to live batters outside in sunny Cincy yesterday! Here’s a 6 minute clip. Do yourself a favor & mute my mouth!

She’s working hard on not leaping...it’s suuuuccccchhh a process. I see plenty good & plenty bad but love all the feedback!! You’re my sounding board...give me your feedback!

May 9, 2019
An update that my 9u DD got to pitch to live batters outside in sunny Cincy yesterday! Here’s a 6 minute clip. Do yourself a favor & mute my mouth!

She’s working hard on not leaping...it’s suuuuccccchhh a process. I see plenty good & plenty bad but love all the feedback!! You’re my sounding board...give me your feedback!

I love it! Tell Josie to keep working! Kudos to you for being so supportive of her and her dreams.

Sep 29, 2014
Hey for a 9 yr old just starting out she is looking pretty good, trust me she has some stuff figured out that a lot of older girls are still struggling with.

1) So starting from the beginning, during her drive phase it looks like she is just a little passive with her load really think about how a runner is in the blocks really putting pressure and getting ready to launch everything looks OK you can just tell it's only half hearted but the mechanics of what she is doing seems OK.

2) Next on her drive forward it looks like she doesn't want to extend either arm forward she needs to be launching forward, which might help her a little with leaping just remind her for now to focus on the forward component not the up component of her drive.

3) Which leads to the next issue by not being on her toe laces to catcher or at the very least lose so that as she closes her leg comes with her and naturally has the heel come up she is dragging the back foot as an anchor heel touching the ground, with back heel touching the ground it is impossible to pitch with proper mechanics your hip simply doesn't release correctly. If she is closing her hips correctly it should be a no teach but maybe getting her toe down heel up will help since she needs to stop leaping anyway.
At release it does look like she isn't quit palm up at 9 but about facing third which isn't terrible just keep working on it but it does look like she is clearing her hip out of the way ("monkey butt") remind her that she should have a little brush and to stay "straight and tall"

Finally did I mention the part about she looks pretty good for a new pitcher at 9 years old :)

Attachments

• jo1.PNG
    jo1.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 16
  • jo2.PNG
    jo2.PNG
    14.9 KB · Views: 17
  • jo3.PNG
    jo3.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Latest posts