11 year old daughter swings late, cannot determine ball or strike in time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 18, 2011
Indiana
I have a 11 year old daughter who is in her second year of playing travel fastpitch softball. She is not hitting at all. She was always a really good hitter in coaches pitch. She didn't really hit very well last year in Fastpitch. What she is constantly telling me is by the time she determines if a pitch is a ball or a strike, it is to late. She swings and is either missed the pitch because she it to late, or if she hits it, it's just a little dink because she hits the ball so deep in the box that it doesn't go anywhere. I had her eyes checked just a few months ago and everything is fine there.

She loves to play, but after having this problem for a year and a half, she is starting to get really discouraged. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this something that a batting coach would be needed to fix?

I appreciate any assistance we can get with this!!

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Work on having her saying to herself, as the ball leaves the pitchers hand, "YES, YES, YES" if it is a ball simply "NO". She needs to train her thinking to every pitch is a strike. Then the only decision she needs to make is NO. Instead of "Oh, is it a ball or is it a strike".

Have her stand ready at the plate with the bat on her shoulders (She does not swing), put a cone or other object out in front about 2-3 feet (can vary), pitch to her, she calls out "Yes" or "No" as it reaches the cone and watches the ball all the way to the "catcher" (net, whatever).

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It sounds like a common problem, my DD used to do this and it would seem that lots of girls do. The kid waits to decide if its a strike and then they begin the swing. She needs to begin her swing sequence on every pitch and the only decision is to not swing. If they have 2 choices, swing or not it takes to long. So she should load up and be thinking yes for every pitch.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Lots of reps in the cage too. Even if you can't pitch from 40 feet, you should be able to move to 35 or 30 and pitch to her. The more she sees live pitching the better, and you'll get better at pitching too. I can now throw from 35 with some velocity at least to simulate game speed, but the girls are also getting better and some of those shots back up the middle keep me on my toes.

Apr 18, 2011
Indiana
Thanks for the help. I have one more question.

Thanks a lot everyone. I'll give those suggestions a try.

One thing I am not completely clear on is when people say, have the batter step when the pitcher steps and load up when the pitcher gets to 12:00 position.

Is the sequence,

1. Step when the pitcher starts her step.
2. Load up when the pitcher gets to 12:00 position.
etc.

or

1. Load up when the pitcher gets to 12:00 position.
2. Step when the pitcher plants her step.
etc.

Thanks again for the help!!!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
No. A batter's timing is her own. watch the ball, not the pitcher.
she needs lots of reps. go to the cage with her or take a bucket of balls and have her hit into a backstop. (You pitch from near the backstop and she is facing the backstop) that way you don't have to chase balls. start out throwing easy, don't try to challenge her. you've got to build her confidence. make her believe that she is a hitter.

big difference between coach pitch and live pitch games. (more balls in the latter for one thing)

Work on having her saying to herself, as the ball leaves the pitchers hand, "YES, YES, YES" if it is a ball simply "NO". She needs to train her thinking to every pitch is a strike. Then the only decision she needs to make is NO. Instead of "Oh, is it a ball or is it a strike".
Great Idea!

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Buy 3 of the Total Control Sports balls, the small weighted ones. I also like both of the whiffle ball sized ones. With a little success and encouragement, you will be surprised at your DD's progress.

Make certain that she knows where she wants to make contact at, during the swing. PM me, if you need more help.

Jun 20, 2008
Thanks a lot everyone. I'll give those suggestions a try.

One thing I am not completely clear on is when people say, have the batter step when the pitcher steps and load up when the pitcher gets to 12:00 position.

Is the sequence,

1. Step when the pitcher starts her step.
2. Load up when the pitcher gets to 12:00 position.
etc.

or

1. Load up when the pitcher gets to 12:00 position.
2. Step when the pitcher plants her step.
etc.

Thanks again for the help!!!

If she is late she may need to start this earlier, check out the thread below for a great explaination on walking away from the hands...

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-practical/5747-hips-go-forward-hands-go-back.html

Mar 25, 2011
Maybe also the colored ball trick. Have a bucket of balls, and every now and then have one with different colored laces. Those are the ones she can not hit. It should really force her to focus on the ball the instant it pitches... you could maybe do this with colored dots on a ball also... you will just have to check it for visibility first. That is another drill / machine for increasing hand speed/ pitch recognition as well....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish