11 year old daughter swings late, cannot determine ball or strike in time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
I found out that two of our girls was trying the step approach, and the sequence was causing them to swing late. So i had them try and set their feet where they would step without stepping so them could focus on turning and taking their hands to the ball. I think the less thinking they do at a young age the better they are. Just a thought.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is an original idea if she is serious about improving. Find something short that she can hold and swing like a bat indoors. Now record a college game on TV. Have your daughter watch and imitate in actual timing the load and swing seqence of the college athlete. Could be a step in helping her realize how the timing feels from the comfort of her own family room. I've actually made front on videos of pitchers before taped from right behind the catcher just so girls could practice timing to their TV.

Sep 29, 2010
Put her in her batting stance and windmill wiffle balls in across the plate. Put a wiffle ball in her hands as though she would be holding a bat. Tell her to throw her wiffle balls into wiffle balls that you will windmill to her. Tell her to try and hit the ball a few feet in front of the plate.

This will teach her rythm and timing all at once. She will soon learn that she can not throw a ball into another ball if she hasn't already started her moves in plenty of time.

To me, this sounds like what she is doing. She is deciding then swinging. In reality I think she should initiate the intent to swing on every pitch and then decide NO. Rather than wait wait wait then YES.

Aug 2, 2008
My daughter had the exact same problem, some good advice on here already.

Aside from tee work and soft toss I stand behind a net at about 25 feet and pitch to her in a full motion. Like you mentioned earlier she loads at 1200 and starts her stride at release. Its not perfect at first but with time she will find her "sweet spot" as to when to load and stride. Once she sees and feels the difference in how the ball comes off the bat she will be hooked. Its all about timing. She will get fooled on some change ups for awhile but tell her not to get discouraged, once she gets good at timing fastballs you can start working on change ups.

Apr 18, 2011
Indiana
Thanks for all the good advise. Last weekend, my daughter played in a tournament and hit the ball every at bat. She got three hits and drove in a run. The advise seems to be working.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If you lack room and have a full length mirror like most young girls, stand behind her while she faces the mirror. You are the pitcher and she will load and swing as you act as the pitcher. We use full length mirrors when we give lessons. Plus the benefit of her watching her swing does help.

May 16, 2011
when the ball is coming, if it looks like it is hittable swing. if not, don't. you have to have postitive attiude, going in saying that i will hit the ball. then when the pitcher releases the ball, think, does it look like i can hit it? if you really think you can, swing!! even if you strike out swinging at balls that you thought you could hit, that is still good. every coach i have had says that they would rather see somebody strike out swinging rather that watching. but just remember, good attiude will help alot.

demanlov

Thanks for all the good advise. Last weekend, my daughter played in a tournament and hit the ball every at bat. She got three hits and drove in a run. The advise seems to be working.

So what advise actually worked for your DD?
Thats awsome she has such a great turnaround in very little time!! I'm sure it pumped her passion!!

Apr 18, 2011
Indiana
The things that helped were assuming every pitch is a strike and only having to say no if it isn't and starting her hands earlier instead of waiting to decide if it is a strike before starting them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32