10u Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Not sure what all the back foot talk is about other than to get her to stop putting so much weight on it in what looks like a more bug squishy motion. The vast majority of MLB hitters use the back foot to do one thing...stop them from falling over after contact is completed and they are following through...it should bear almost no weight at contact.

Also agree this tee swing looks very Donaldsony but.....is this her game or even front toss swing? I'm putting this one in the I want to see something other than tee swing catergory I'm wanting to see that drastic leg kick action against a pitcher and see if the form holds or she breaks down a little

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I like it and going to try it today with DD. Didn't sound as if Antonelli was all the fond of the drill. Just the tone of his voice and worried about getting too much weight shifting forward.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Is the step back drill you mentioned like the video below from Antonelli featuring Cody Bellinger?

Not exactly. Pretty close though. I have a hitter start balanced. Then a small hop to the front foot. Then a hop to the back foot while keeping the head from going backward. This will load the backside and create the reactive counter rotation that we want. You should see the front shoulder go down and in on its own. That’s the sign the they have loaded the posterior.

I will have them go as slow as possible and progress to normal tempo when comfortable with the drill. Eventually toning it down into a stance and toss drill.

Should look something like this when doing it slow.

The drill is to feel the load. Not to keep the head still. The head ‘still’ is to force a feel. Emphasize the feel of the shoulder being pulled down and in and the back leg feeling strong. Not the drill. Hopefully I’m making sense.

Jul 29, 2013
Not sure what all the back foot talk is about other than to get her to stop putting so much weight on it in what looks like a more bug squishy motion. The vast majority of MLB hitters use the back foot to do one thing...stop them from falling over after contact is completed and they are following through...it should bear almost no weight at contact.

Also agree this tee swing looks very Donaldsony but.....is this her game or even front toss swing? I'm putting this one in the I want to see something other than tee swing catergory I'm wanting to see that drastic leg kick action against a pitcher and see if the form holds or she breaks down a little
I agree. And she doesn't stride very far so all the comments about back foot are because she actually stays back/ doesn't move forward much. Squish the bug look is because she is almost standing on her back leg.
The tee is far forward but she stops way short in her stride and then extends arms to contact.

Aug 20, 2017
Get some bend in the back leg during the load stride process. This will help her anchor the back leg into the ground and keep her turn tighter. During the move out you want to keep the hips tight, keep them skinny. Notice at foot down the hands and back elbow have already began to slot. This is out sequence. Like others have said she must maintain the upper body load as long as possible in order to create more stretch and allow the body to turn the barrel from behind the ball. The stride foot opening early is due to her trying to get her body out of the way to have a hand path due to over rotating during that knee lift.

Aug 3, 2019
Great feedback all—-lot of good stuff and lots of work to do!

I’ll try to film a few live swings at her next team practice.

Aug 3, 2019

sorry for the long delay but here is a recent game video from the last tournament of the fall. Angle not great but can see some mechanics

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles