10u Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I have a Josh Donaldson swing with a high frame rate, I should be able to match the swings up well. That way you will get a better picture of is and isn't happening. Then everyone can comment on the swings. Just have to run some errands and then I'll sync the swing up and post it.
Tease post???? LOL

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Now, I had to cull the girls swing, cut the frames in half and had to cull Donaldson stride in half because his swing had different frames rates at different phases of the swing. So don't take to much away from this clip as I tried to match the swings as well as possible. In matching them you take away the timing of the moves if they were both at the same frame of rate or when moves actually start/stop.

giphy.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
One thing you can take away from the clip, Is how well Donaldson stabilizes the back hip/leg in the load or gather (or as Donaldson said his rhythm portion).

A pro does what Joey Myers says in his material of placing the hand on the thigh and pulling back on the index finger (pointer) and letting the finger slam down on the leg. The pro's use the springy action in the load and unload. The kids is just creating motion/movement.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
OP and Fanboi,

Try a ‘step back’ drill with minimal to no head movement. Ask for ‘athletic’ swings, meaning don’t over coach it. You should get a manufactured move from the ‘middle’. Once felt because of the forced movements. Try to tone down into a stance and load situation. There are other ways. But this one can leave the hitter with some great kinesthetics for the posterior load and moving from the middle. I use this drill in warm ups on the tee. It’s mandatory.

Things to look for: counter rotation during the forward move.,the hands becoming reactive during the forward move also, neither before.

The drill emphasizes frontal plane movement so keep that in mind. The head to toe stretch should make it sagittilian. Not sure if that is a word.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
OP and Fanboi,

Try a ‘step back’ drill with minimal to no head movement. Ask for ‘athletic’ swings, meaning don’t over coach it. You should get a manufactured move from the ‘middle’. Once felt because of the forced movements. Try to tone down into a stance and load situation. There are other ways. But this one can leave the hitter with some great kinestethics for the posterior load and moving from the middle. I use this drill in warm ups on the tee. It’s mandatory.

Things to look for: counter rotation during the forward move.,the hands becoming reactive during the forward move also, neither before.

The drill emphasizes frontal plane movement so keep that in mind. The head to toe stretch should make it sagittilian. Not sure if that is a word.
The step back is becoming one of my favorite drill.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
My thinking of the step back is it creates leverage off the backside, which creates a forward force (for every action there is a opposite and equal reaction). This ties into my thinking that the lower body/hips are creating a forward force from the start as the upperbody/upper torso work against this action. Basically similar to Epstein thoughts. Strip away the style and there is a universal action happening.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
My thinking of the step back is it creates leverage off the backside, which creates a forward force (for every action there is a opposite and equal reaction). This ties into my thinking that the lower body/hips are creating a forward force from the start as the upperbody/upper torso work against this action. Basically similar to Epstein thoughts. Strip away the style and there is a universal action happening.

I like the ‘step back’ drill because of the feel of the rhythmical connection with the ground and the cross body load it helps create.

Oct 16, 2014
OP and Fanboi,

Try a ‘step back’ drill with minimal to no head movement. Ask for ‘athletic’ swings, meaning don’t over coach it. You should get a manufactured move from the ‘middle’. Once felt because of the forced movements. Try to tone down into a stance and load situation. There are other ways. But this one can leave the hitter with some great kinesthetics for the posterior load and moving from the middle. I use this drill in warm ups on the tee. It’s mandatory.

Is the step back drill you mentioned like the video below from Antonelli featuring Cody Bellinger?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28