10u pitcher throws 4 straight games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Let's assume that the coach did not explain she would be pitching every game. So what? Did the parent(s) ask?

Amen.

This applies to all pickup situations, not just pitching.

Any time there is a pickup player, whether it's a pitcher or not, there should be communication between coach and parent about how the coach plans to use the player. Although preferable, it's not necessary that the coach be very specific, or make any promises. What's important is that coach and parent and player are on the same page going in. It's remarkable how often parents get mad when their child doesn't play the role they expected as a pickup player. And 9 times out of 10, they didn't ask ahead of time. They just made assumptions.

And this communication is the responsibility of both coach and parent. One has no right to blame the other.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I'll admit I have made this mistake before.

Years ago my DD pitched 6 10U All Star games in a one day and started a 7th, but only went one inning. Tournament was from 9a in the morning to 11p that night. The only positive I can muster is that they were usually short games due to our success. However, when we reached the championship game that night, she was spent - imagine that! She showed no signs of wear until that 7th game and she hit her wall all at once.

At that time, I was always told that underhand windmill pitching wasn't taxing on the arm and body. Now that "I is edumacated more better" I understand what a screw up that was. Never again.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This would not have happened in TB baseball. Parent and coach would have pulled the kid. No. Coach would have staffed the team with the right amount of pitchers, gone home from the tourney, or not entered the tourney knowing there was not enough. Coach would have developed some pitchers if need by..

I call BS on this. It used to happen all the time in TB baseball and LL until they were FORCED NOT TO by rule.

Until pitching limits came in, you used to see this sort of behavior all the time. Even now I see in parents sneaking their DS pitcher about in multiple leagues looking to get their little star more pitching time because pitching limits in baseball are robbing their little talent of 'proper development' or some other garbage.

That said you are absolutely right. There is no excuse. If you lose a pool game 20-0 because of no pitching then that is something that you live with. If you lose an elimination game because your pitchers are done, then so be it - you lose - you don't try and stretch the exhausted pitchers further.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
If you lose a pool game 20-0 because of no pitching then that is something that you live with.

On the pool game topic:
Pool games no longer appear to be pool games like they used to be. Now it appears that teams are playing regular (not seeding) pools to win just like bracket games. Maybe I'm wrong here or it is just my area?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When I am at a student's game, I sit and count pitches batter, by batter. At 10U, I am conservative on how many pitches they should throw, per game. haha. Someone would have had to put me in a straight jacket, if I had watched this young lady.

Kudos to her, though.

Oct 19, 2009
Makes you wonder how many young ladies college careers may have been damaged due to over excessive use as a young pitcher?

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
When I am at a student's game, I sit and count pitches batter, by batter. At 10U, I am conservative on how many pitches they should throw, per game. haha. Someone would have had to put me in a straight jacket, if I had watched this young lady.

Kudos to her, though.

Amy, I'm curious, what would be a ball park figure of number of pitches per inning at 12u? What about 14u? I know all kind of factors come into play, such as pitcher type, opponents, and defense, but I've only counted a couple of times. Certainly not enough to get a decent gauge.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Amy, I'm curious, what would be a ball park figure of number of pitches per inning at 12u? What about 14u? I know all kind of factors come into play, such as pitcher type, opponents, and defense, but I've only counted a couple of times. Certainly not enough to get a decent gauge.

Just returned from taking 17YO DD to chiropractor for adjustment after she pitched 4 CGs at USSSA World Series this past Saturday. DD was only pitcher on her HS team last season so she is used to being the horse...but it does grate on her (and mom and dad) that team coaches do not spend more time getting the other pitchers to a "tournament" level. To his credit, before the 4th game HC did ask DD if she was OK for one more...:rolleyes:

I think pitch counts are dependent upon the expectations of the coach, the ability of the pitcher, AND the strike zone of the PU. The "perfect" half-inning is 3 pitches - 3 grounders or flyballs for outs. Three Ks would obvoiusly be 9 pitches. DD's last game this past weekend - last two innings - 7 total pitches. It helped that she had the best umpire behind the plate the last game who called corners - previous three games, no inside corners thereby taking away half of the plate (that's another rant :mad: for another thread). Even mediocre batters will figure out that all they need to do is wait for the outside pitch when the inside strike is not being called.

For a 7 inning non-timed game, I would strive for 20 maximum pitches per inning at any level above 10U. Obviously there are girls out there with rubber arms that can throw (notice I said throw, not pitch) all day. Anecdotally here in SoCal I'm seeing fewer and fewer actual pitchers but a hell of lot of "throw it as hard as you can, you can learn control later" that is often painful to watch (especially the horrid mechanics).

JMHO. :cool:

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
On the pool game topic:
Pool games no longer appear to be pool games like they used to be. Now it appears that teams are playing regular (not seeding) pools to win just like bracket games. Maybe I'm wrong here or it is just my area?

Cuzmail, you are absolutely correct. For many teams, pool play is played to win as much as elimination games. It is due to pride, positioning in the elimination round and better elimination starting times.

The only difference I see in pool play is the batting order is more likely to be more than 9 than is elimination.

Jun 11, 2013
I just looked up our 14U team. We pitches around 16.5 pitches per inning and had around 17 pitched to us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck