1st game mechanics go out the window 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Do you think it was pitching in a game or pitching to hitters? When a pitcher goes from pitching to dad to pitching to hitters there is often a significant 'speed bump'. All of a sudden the target zone looks a lot smaller. Sometimes there is a fear of hitting the batter. If she lacks experience pitching to hitters get someone to stand in when you practice with her.

It often helps to label the two different motions. I use 'pushing' and 'whipping'. Then I'll ask, 'Are you pushing or whipping?' Sometimes in practice I will ask them to push on purpose. I also use 'old' and 'new'.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
If she didn't hit her hip in the game, she has made great strides ;)

Nov 22, 2019
Do you think it was pitching in a game or pitching to hitters? When a pitcher goes from pitching to dad to pitching to hitters there is often significant 'speed bump'. All of a sudden the target zone looks a lot smaller. Sometimes there is a fear of hitting the batter. If she lacks experience pitching to hitters get someone to stand in when you practice with her.

It often helps to label the two different motions. I use 'pushing' and 'whipping'. Then I'll ask, 'Are you pushing or whipping?' Sometimes in practice I will ask them to push on purpose. I also use 'old' and 'new'.
That’s a good question. She has thrown to my wife in the batters box on a few occasions and pitched properly, but she doesn’t have much experience facing actual batters.

Nov 22, 2019
She just pitched her second game and the mechanics did get better, at least in the 2nd inning that I recorded. Still a bit of a lean forward but not nearly as bad, and still has lost her drag, but the IR motion was there. She even got to warm up before the game. Results were similar: 2IP, 1H, 0 runs, 4Ks, 0 walks, although she did hit two batters.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not sure if this is possible for you, and some people might accuse me of over-stepping, but...

I asked the coaches if they needed help warming up pitchers before games. I also added that I'm happy to do it and at this age (10U), I probably know more about her mechanics and how best to warm her up and get her ready. And because none of their DDs have ever been pitchers, I've certainly spent more time on the bucket and with professional instructors than they have.

They happily said yes.

So now instead of yapping with parents before games, I'm out warming up pitchers (and my own DD). It's proven helpful and will most likely continue (with this team). In time, my DD probably won't need me doing this much. But it's a good solution for everyone for now.

During games, I say very little other than "Nice Pitch". Perhaps once every few games I give her one verbal tip (Stay tall, loose arm, etc) when I see something that I know will help. I've gotten good at spotting those and coaches recognize that my tips almost always get her back on track.
Good approach 'ask' to offer assistance!
Good for you!

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
People say catchers are crazy...but we get to wear lots of protective gear....
Those pitchers geeez thats a breed of courage!

Last edited:
May 9, 2019
I don't know if it's common or not, but I'm going to assume that it is, because that's exactly how my pitcher performs.

Everything we work on, or have worked on for weeks, just disappears during the games. Yes, still does ok, but it frustrates the hell out of me.

Thanks for the posters who have said to keep it fun and take her out for ice cream, and that things are going to be ok. Helping me off the ledge! LOL.

This is why it really helps to talk to Dads and Moms on this site who have "been there, done that" and would have done things differently back when their daughters were 10yo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2