10 Year old DD Swing Feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Do I break it down step by step by step? Stide, Plant, rotate, swing? Etc?

Build from the ground up. Her stance is OK. She has to learn how to weight and unweight the back side (ie, load). Don't sway back, don't scrunch down, just unweight the front foot and gather on the backside (see model below). She needs to understand weight transfer, and how to keep the hands back. Notice the red lines below. Separation between hands and hips as she's striding (not before she strides, but during). I'd suggest getting this down, then learning to swing from there.

Excellent, often re-posted model:

2dkekcp.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Build from the ground up. Her stance is OK. She has to learn how to weight and unweight the back side (ie, load). Don't sway back, don't scrunch down, just unweight the front foot and gather on the backside (see model below). She needs to understand weight transfer, and how to keep the hands back. Notice the red lines below. Separation between hands and hips as she's striding (not before she strides, but during). I'd suggest getting this down, then learning to swing from there.

Excellent, often re-posted model:

2dkekcp.gif

This is good advice. Above all, don't forget that she is 10. The most important thing is to have fun. And believe me, if she can incorporate some of this, she will have fun...

Mar 21, 2013
When working on a fundamental skill using a tee is always best. Especially with the young ones. It allows them to focus on a skill without the worry of getting hit. Also, take a video of her doing a skill or drill, then take one of her instructor showing the correct way to do it. Then you can get a cheap phone app like Right View Pro to compare and break it down.

I might even jump up in bat weight. If she fights you just get something used and go up in weight a little at a time. Tell her it's the same weight just a different bat. I would stay at 30" though.

May 28, 2014
Straightleg,

Here is the vid of her throwing, only I have is just during drills. We have started the Wasserman strength 8 week program but she is reverting to old habits in the heat of the moment.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
She looks like the growth spurt hasn't hit, but it will. Study tee-drills...it will help her focus on mechanics first without the pressure of live/practice/front-toss hitting. So like others have said, lots of tee drills! And perseverance! And patience! :)

BTW I am NOT a hitting guru which is why this is all I have to offer. LOL. Good luck to your DD and you. :)

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Straightleg,

Here is the vid of her throwing, only I have is just during drills. We have started the Wasserman strength 8 week program but she is reverting to old habits in the heat of the moment.

I posted this on another thread on throwing
I work on throwing mechanics first every lesson, with every student.
We work on different pieces of it. One (swing) or (throwing) thought at a time.
Some of the steps:
A nice rhythm
Throwing arm elbow even with shoulder or alittle higher, so they don't get a sore arm.
Stretch
Tucking the glove in
Hip coil or loading the rear butt and inside of the leg, just like hitting
Not loading backwards...falling forward as you coil
Late separation on the throw to mimic the hitting..Get the lower half working first
Driving off the rear side....lower back, butt, leg, foot...same as in hitting
Throwing out and around where the throwing hand ends up across the opposite leg. So many new girls starting out, push the throw. They push the throw, they push the bat
Here is one of Casey releasing out and around across the body...Tucking the glove...driving off the back side

Notice your daughter like throws, push's the ball straight out, her release is straight verses her arm coming across her body and she looses throwing umph, by not using the glove hand for torque.
She is young it will come just takes practice.

SL

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Once her throwing mechanics improve, releasing off the back side and throwing with the right sequence, her hitting will improve...JMO

SL

May 28, 2014
Here is a current video from todays Clinic, shows some improvement from a few weeks ago but still aways to go..

Last edited:
May 28, 2014
Was at a local college clinic to today, saw them breaking down the swing and I thought it might help her out.. but then they let her get away with this with out correcting her ... :x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi