10 Year old DD Swing Feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2014
Howdy all,

Hoping to get some feed back on my daughters swing, which is currently a hot mess. She is playing Travel for the first time and her swing is all sorts of all over the place, she was able to be ok in Rec, but against better pitching she is swinging and missing a lot.. does fine with soft toss and short toss, but just can't make contact against live girls. She has a hitting coach, but its only a college player, and I think we are missing some fundamentals that she needs to be successful.

I have done my research, and I read this forum like its my job, but I wanted a non-fatherly look at the swing to see if the same things are being seeing that I see. Thanks in advance -

Video incoming! sorry for the funky slow mo on the last vid, was still figuring out coaches eye.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Not an expert.... But I did sleep at a holiday inn once and have spent many hours working on DDs swing.

She is leading with her back elbow and chopping. I would have her place her bat on her shoulder and work her to contact from there - not removing the bat until she has started her hips.

BUT....the exerts will surely chime in. Have a seat, this should get good.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Looks like a pretty athletic kid w/ good hand-eye. The swing is lacking many fundamentals, however. Has she been working with the college player long? What is she having her work on?

The player is not loading and shifting weight correctly. Her sequence is way off (arms/elbows are leading. Hip should lead). She has what's called bat drag. That is, her right elbow is getting ahead of the knob of the bat, and she's pulling the bat through the zone. She's spinning, pivoting on the back foot. Needs to learn how to transfer weight, loading & unloading.

Find a good hitting coach, or visit here regularly and get feedback. There are those who know much more about it than I do, so I will leave it to them, but I know enough to tell you that this girl has a LOT more potential than her swing is allowing her to realize.

Mar 21, 2013
My first thought was that the bat may be too heavy, but after watching her tee video I do not believe that is the case.

I agree with the elbow comments and the weight shift comment. Outside of additional hitting instruction, if you watch the videos closely, you will see that she starts the swing with her arms and upper body before her step is on the ground. This in itself can cause several problems as she does not have a firm base in which to provide support or leverage. She is basically swinging on one leg. As a result she is compensating in several different ways just to get the swing moving making it appear that the bat is too heavy. If you watch her tee video, which is a much better swing by the way, her step is closer to being planted prior to her swinging the bat. Therefor providing a more stable base to swing around. My 2 cents

What area of the country are you located in?

May 28, 2014
The Bat is 30/17, so it shouldn't be an issue..We are located in the North East. I haven't had much luck finding a hitting coach yet. She has worked with one of the local college girls now 3-4 times and I think they are trying to run before she walks..I like the girl that teaches her, but its obvious that she isn't a hitting instructor and they are just doing tee-work that they would do as a college team.

Do I break it down step by step by step? Stide, Plant, rotate, swing? Etc?

Thanks for the feedback so far.. :)

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Her tee swing looks much better than the live swing. She's probably "trying" to make contact. The above comments about arm swings and weight stiff are correct.

Start with incremental changes. Don't throw 5 things are her at once. ( I like working from the ground up, personally)
Don't push too much. These changes will take some getting use to. Don't rush it.
The bat drag, (if you start with that) can, for some girls, take a while to correct.
Search "bat drag" on this forum and try to learn as much as possible.
She's athletic. She'll show improvements. Don't stress out, bc she'll see that in you.
Have fun.

Good luck.

May 28, 2014
I do have a drop -10 30/20 Xeno. Would that be too much of a weight jump?

Or should I stick with what she knows, she fights new equipment pretty hard.. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802