10 y/o dd pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Do you know if you can post video from a program like coache's eye to DFP?

I don't know if you can embed a video from Coach's Eye in a post but you can definitely post a link and many have before. I would prefer YouTube because you can use the arrow keys to move back and forth, frame by frame. I don't think you can do that with Coach's Eye.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Alan,
How do I do that? Using inde's vid and the Ueno video as examples, I can't seem to get the arrow keys to do more than jump back or ahead during playback. When I try scrubbing, it seems to jump past several frames. I'd love to be able to freeze a youtube video on an exact frame.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
The timing of the release relative to the foot plant seems too close together. I think there should be more armswing left at plant.

I have never looked at it. I will review the video. Any Ideas on how to improve upon this, short of a backswing which she doesn't like doing?

Alan,
How do I do that? Using inde's vid and the Ueno video as examples, I can't seem to get the arrow keys to do more than jump back or ahead during playback. When I try scrubbing, it seems to jump past several frames. I'd love to be able to freeze a youtube video on an exact frame.

It just works for me. I'm using Firefox. The arrow keys can go back and forth. I'm not sure it is exactly frame by frame but it is enough to get still photos from at specific points. You should also try YouTube Converter - ClipConverter.cc. This is a free plugin for Firefox to download YouTube videos. I use this to get YouTube videos onto my iPad. I use an app called TVTIPlayer to play the .mp4 videos from YouTube or from my camera. The app has frame by frame arrows. This makes it much easier to discuss techniques with my DD or my team.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Any Ideas on how to improve upon this, short of a backswing which she doesn't like doing?

Without seeing the timing in slo-mo, I'd hate to suggest you change anything until my speculation is confirmed.

If it truly is a timing issue, I'd have her think about pumping her hands rearward as she compresses to explode. Kind of like coiling to strike. As I’m seeing in your video, she is not transferring her weight onto and exploding off the pivot foot. When you watch the video of Coach Hillhouse pitch, you see him shift most of his weight onto his stride foot, pumps his arms upward briefly then drives his hands down and to the hips as he begins to transfer his weight onto his pivot foot. Once he is compressed, he explodes off of the pitching rubber and drives the toe of his stride foot and the backs of both hands towards the catcher.

I break it down like this:
-Step onto the plate with the pivot foot toe set for a good push off the front edge and the toe of the stride foot touching the backside of the rubber. Weight is on the pivot foot and the stride foot heel is up.
-The hands are separated.
-When the hands come together, the stride foot heel goes down and the weight shifts to the stride foot. Some like to rock their pivot foot toe upward here
-In your daughter’s style, I’d suggest the hands pump slightly forward as she begins the transfer of weight onto the pivot foot, then back into the hip as she coils to explode. (She’s currently starting her arm swing with her weight still on her stride foot)
-During her lean forward (not bending at the waist) she’ll feel the point when she needs to explode with the stride foot and hands to keep her from falling onto her nose.

I don’t think any drill can help with this. Breaking down and correcting the load sequence can.

Hoping others will comment to confirm or correct me.

Last edited:
1. It looks like she short arms the circle on the way up. It is really hard to tell for sure in the blurry video. I think lengthening her circle will help with timing issues.
2. Her COG is to far forward on front foot landing. This is causing her to leap with her back foot in the air instead of dragging. Look at attached pitchers. Her nose should be closer to the green arrows.

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I have never noticed her do that before. Short of video/picture evidence I would have said she doesn't do that. I will have to keep an eye on that. Do you feel that is a product of leaping with her stride foot rather than driving with her drag foot?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch