10 y/o dd pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Using Alan's tip, I watched the pitches using the arrow keys. I'll stand by my claim that her timing is out of sync. The throwing arm starts the circle too early. Compare your DD's arm position to other videos at various points. At the point where both feet are even with each other during her forward stride, you'll notice her throwing arm is already out in front of her. In other videos at this point, most arms have not passed the hip. When her glove has reached it's forward stretch towards the catcher, her throwing arm is already passing her ear. In other videos you'll see that both the arm and glove are both pointing at the catcher when the glove reaches full stretch. At foot plant, her arm is almost at the release point. The arm should be around 9-11 o'clock at plant.

I'd suggest fixing the timing then moving on from there as needed.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I break it down like this:
-Start with weight on the pivot foot. Stride foot heel is up and stride knee is bent
-The hands are separated.
-When the hands come together, the stride foot heel goes down and the weight shifts to the heel of stride foot. Some like to rock their pivot foot toe or heel upward here (while maintaining contact.)
-In your daughter’s style, I’d suggest the hands pump forward.
-When the hands start to pull back towards the body and past the right hip, she’ll begin to transfer her weight onto the pivot foot by starting to lean forward (not bending at the waist) and compressing the stride leg. (Hands move back/body moves forward.) The whole body is coiling to explode forward.
-During her lean forward (not bending at the waist) she’ll feel the point when she needs to explode with the stride foot and hands to keep her from falling onto her nose.
-The arms and stride foot swing out hard towards the catcher. Toe should be pointing right at the catcher. The hands will go up almost together or the glove may actually lead to the 3 o’clock position (some go to about 2 o’clock.) This hard swing of the arms and stride leg help propel the body out.
-The foot should land at no less than 45 degrees (not a timing issue but I noticed it from the video.)

From there on out the body is on auto pilot.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Should also add that when the forward pump begins, the rest is continuous. When reading the above, it all seems segmented.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
35px-BulbgraphOnOff.gifIt just works for me. I'm using Firefox. The arrow keys can go back and forth. I'm not sure it is exactly frame by frame but it is enough to get still photos from at specific points. You should also try YouTube Converter - ClipConverter.cc. This is a free plugin for Firefox to download YouTube videos. I use this to get YouTube videos onto my iPad. I use an app called TVTIPlayer to play the .mp4 videos from YouTube or from my camera. The app has frame by frame arrows. This makes it much easier to discuss techniques with my DD or my team.

Great Tips Alan..... I hope you get as many as you give ... thx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCsDad