10 y/o dd pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
This is my 10 y/o dd. Any suggestions of things to work on would be great. Tends to tighten her arm upon release and almost pull back sometimes. The video is two posts lower.

Looking to build speed and accuracy as well as improve on any mechanical issues members see.

Thank You all

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Inde, after you paste the video url in the "post a vid" box. Delete or backspace over the "m" at the beginning of the url and type in "www." That will change it from mobile youtube to reg youtube and the video will show up in the box.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The timing of the release relative to the foot plant seems too close together. I think there should be more armswing left at plant.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I showed my 9 y/o and she asked if you could post a video in slow motion?

I'd suggest comparing the start of her armswing with other videos on this site. Coach Hillhouse and Yukiko Ueno might be good to watch in slo mo. I think you'll see a pause in their armswing as they begin the forward drive. Backswing pitchers generally time their forward drive with the rearward swing of the arms. This allows their arms to help sling shot the body and sets up the throwing arm to about 9-11 o'clock when the stride foot plants. This timing allows the body's energy to transfer to the pitch. As I'm seeing your DD, she's not benefitting from that energy transfer.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

Here is a video of Ueno. I forgot she uses backswing, but it still shows the timing I mentioned. Notice how her forward drive happens at the same time her throwing hand starts rearward. From there you can see how her arms and stride leg explode forward at the same time, upward and outward for distance and power. The last thing is that her throwing hand is at about 10 o'clock at plant, allowing for a very efficient transfer of energy.

Last edited:
Ken I don't know how to make the video slow motion. I am less than computer savy.

If you can afford it get you a camera that can do high speed video. Like this one. It can do 120 fps and everything will show up much clearer.
Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS 16.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom 24mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p Full HD Video Recording (Black): Camera & Photo

It has been an valuable tool with my DD pitching and hitting.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Alan,
I have one of the Canon cameras and use it like a crutch! I had a new girl who was not getting the speed that her overall form should have given her and pulled out the camera. Right away we could see her rotate her hand to palm forward just before release. Great tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish